MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Central Minnesota

View previous topic :: View next topic  
molesen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 7:33 pm    Post subject: Central Minnesota Reply with quote

I would like to propose a central Minnesota region as well. I have just moved back to the state from CA (hated the weather out there Wink ).

We are originally from the Twin Cities and do not really know anyone in the St. Cloud area and would like to meet some other cachers in the area.

Thoughts?

Michael
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting idea, molesen.

I need input from the group: Do we need another thread, or is five regions enough? Given the lack of posting on any of them. . .

What we need is some more St. Cloud area cachers here. Kleiner & ck - would one of you mind contacting bennystudent, CBee and MN Jack and inviting them in? Maybe the veys (ko_tis & ko_dat) as well?

And molesen,
Welcome to the forums! How did you hear about us?
ck
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thought, and I'd think Bennystudent would be good to do it, but like you said, there's a lack of activity on any of the regional boards.

I think our issue here actually deals with some definition of areas. Mankato is a bit of a toss up (SE vs. SW) while St. Cloud could be any of the five (NE, NW, SE, SW or Twin Cities).

Towle, is there a way we could define some cities that are in each region (for example, NE mmight list, Duluthi, INtl Falls, Brainerd, Princeton, to Pine City)?

Couldn't stand the weather in California?!?!?! Rolling Eyes
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere I have a State Parks map with the State broken up into different regions, but I cannot find it right now. The same map might be on their website, as well--if we can find it, maybe we can follow that as a guideline for our regions, as well?
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regions
molesen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned of the association through the geocaching.com website. If you use the pull-down menu on the main page to select MN, it lists the associations for the state as well as the latest cache placements and travel bugs.

As far as the weather in CA, I was just using tongue-in-cheek to hide my true feelings about the state. It is overcrowded and overpriced (the median home in our county was $350,000 for a 2-bedroom piece of junk). In addition, I found many of the people there to be extremely materialistic and lacking any real substance. I have a 3-yo son and want to instill better values than that in him.

I don't think the DNR division maps are very useful for this purpose. It still divides the state into regions that are too large.

I think that a better system would be MN State Patrol Districts. This would result in more regions but this may be better in the long run as the sport gets more afficiandos. I was familiar with this map because I used to work as a transplant coordinator and had to contact different state patrol offices at times. I know its not perfect but I don't have any other ideas. Any other thoughts?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: