MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dateline Alabama - Specific Penalties for Geocaching

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimbreWlf
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Dateline Alabama - Specific Penalties for Geocaching Reply with quote

There are so many things going wrong here. It is what it is.

Legislative action for the week of May 8-May 14

By The Associated Press, Associated Press Writer

May 13, 2005

GEOCACHE TREND:
The House approved a bill Thursday targeting people who play a new high-tech game in graveyards and other areas. Strangers caught trekking into South Carolina graveyards or historical sites could earn time in jail playing the modern scavenger hunt known as geocaching. The game relies on following instructions and coordinates using Global Positioning Satellite system devices. "I don't find it funny when someone comes to my relative's grave site and puts little trinkets on it," said Rep. John Scott, D-Columbia.

Original News Article

Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I have a problem so much with a policy of no geocaching in graveyards - that's been discussed here and on other forums in the past.

I'm disappointed at how they got to this point (the article). I would hope that the sport is a little more self-policing - enough to keep stuff out of sensitive areas like that when it's not wanted there.

It appears obvious that the lawmaker quoted doesn't know too much about geocaching...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TimbreWlf
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initial AP Article

This was the house bill, and the senate must vote to pass it. Many think that it is silly to duplicate current trespassing and desecration laws. I'm adding a link to the main article on the legislation. It tells a better story.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the previous discussion (and links to articles) about banning caching in cemeteries here: http://www.mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1395

Personally, they shouldn't be allowed to be in cemeteries but that's up to gc.com to regulate and the state/local governments should not be wasting valuable legislative time on creating duplicate/specific laws.
TwentySeven
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
Personally, they shouldn't be allowed to be in cemeteries but that's up to gc.com to regulate.....

I agree. If the hider wants you to go to a cemetary for a reason, example founder of the town is buryed there, then just make it a multi and have the cache be located outside the lot. (I've been thinking of doing just that.)
Shane
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TwentySeven wrote:
I agree. If the hider wants you to go to a cemetary for a reason, example founder of the town is buryed there, then just make it a multi and have the cache be located outside the lot. (I've been thinking of doing just that.)

Just like any virtual. Make it a multi and be done with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Media Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: