MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to this...can't wait!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Msea
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: New to this...can't wait! Reply with quote

Hi! After months ( or years ) of I should try that I finally am going to! I am going out this afternoon and purchasing and Garmin Legend. It is a bundle deal from Gander Mt that includes the US Topo map, interface cable and instructional DVD for $199, down from $315.

Any yah or nays on this unit? Could I get away without the map and go to Best Buy and get it for $50 less? From what I have read, many wish they had more detail, so I am inclinded to go for it considering the software alone runs $120!

Thanks and I can't wait!
michelle
milbank
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and Welcome,
The legend is a great unit.
I used one for a year and never had a problem with it.
You will want to keep the Topo software. The more detailed maps does make it more enjoyable to use.

Have fun... Smile
BB&D
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are still using our ETrex Venture which came with very limited maps on it. We have a rather extensive map of MN in the car at all times but I've been looking into getting some mapping software for the PDA which was purchased for the sole reason of paperless geocaching (info from geocacher-u.com). So my opinion is whatever you can afford will work, and like many others geocachers, in few months new technology will beckon you.
BB&D
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are still using our ETrex Venture which came with very limited maps on it. We have a rather extensive map of MN in the car at all times but I've been looking into getting some mapping software for the PDA which was purchased for the sole reason of paperless geocaching (info from geocacher-u.com). So my opinion is whatever you can afford will work, and like many others geocachers, in few months new technology will beckon you.
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 - Welcome!
#2 - Legend is a fine GPS
#3 - If you are only Geocaching, you may not need detail. If you plan to do other activities with it, then you may want a database.
#4 - I'd suggest starting without it and see what you think before you get the software. You can always add it - and my guess is that you probably wouldn't need it.

Good luck!
ArmyCrayzee
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Garmin eTrex Reply with quote

Three people that are going to Iraq with my unit have the same Legend unit. It is a pretty slick GPS and I hope you're happy with your purchase.

I do need the Topo software. Sounds like a new topic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: