MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EasyGPS Walkthrough

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buro
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: EasyGPS Walkthrough Reply with quote

ok, im so new to this. Wife got me a Legend, with all the patch cords, etc. I downloaded gpseasy, but for some reason I can not send waypoints from my pc to my legend. Anyone have the " So your an idiot, and you bought a GPS, now how the heck do i download?" cheat sheets?
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I don't have a cheat sheet, but lets see how I do on a walkthrough. I'm assuming you've already installed the software and have opened loc/gpx files and are ready to send them to the GPS.

Hook up the patch cable to the computer, pay attention to which port you put it on if you have more than one on the back of your computer that will fit it (usually they'll be marks 1 and 2 if that's the case). Then attach the other end to your gps. Done? good

In EasyGPS, select File (from the top menu) -> preferences...

In the GPS tab, press Add GPS... Then Select Garmin as the maker, Legend as your model. It should then pop up the settings... for the COM port (where the GPS is plugged in on the computer). If you have more than one, make sure you select the correct one (they might have been labeled, 1 would be COM 1, 2 would be COM 2) Then select a baud rate. Try 9600, if this doesn't work, try a lower rate like 4800.

The GPS should show up in the list now, hit OK.

Then in EasyGPS select from the top menu GPS -> Test Serial Connection... Click okay to the Dialog box, it will then tell you if it can communicate with the GPS. If it did, great, if it can't, go back to the previous stage and try changing the settings for the COM port and try again.

Once you've checked the connection is good, you should be set, just hit the Send button (it's in the button bar under the top menus). and it should send them.

Oh and BTW, you're not an idiot, usually idiots tend to think they know it all and don't ask for assistance, and usually end up wasting a ton of time in the process. I think I'd still be struggling with computers myself if I never asked anyone how something works.
Buro
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy crap it worked, so cool
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buro, you're way ahead of me now-- I still enter all my waypoints by hand-- though I usually only enter a few at a time.

Thanks for posting those instructions, Joel... I'll have to save them in case I ever get a GPS that has a computer interface. I'm going to ask for one for my birthday, even though that means waiting a few months. Smile
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC0GRN wrote:
Hook up the patch cable to the computer

By the way, Joel (now, here's an ignorant question) since my computer's last serial port is apparently shot, do these patch cables come in a USB option as well? I bet they do, it's just that I haven't done any research on GPS/computer interface cables as I don't own a GPS that will hook up to a computer.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzzygirl wrote:
KC0GRN wrote:

By the way, Joel (now, here's an ignorant question) since my computer's last serial port is apparently shot, do these patch cables come in a USB option as well? I bet they do, it's just that I haven't done any research on GPS/computer interface cables as I don't own a GPS that will hook up to a computer.

Buzzy, you can certainly get a USB->serial adapter.
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
Buzzygirl wrote:
KC0GRN wrote:

Buzzy, you can certainly get a USB->serial adapter.

Cool... thanks.
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzzygirl wrote:
do these patch cables come in a USB option as well?

It depends on your unit. The new color Garmin 60 and 76 series have serial and USB interfaces. I haven'y looked into other units.
RINO SHAWN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good to see that the newer units are starting to come with usb or serial connections.

Alot of the laptops don't come with a serial port....I am using a usb to serial adapter on mine and it works just fine....but as I found out early on....you have to configure the adapter to ONE of the available usb ports...and if you plug in to a different usb port..it will not work.
(found that out when I added a "usb hub port" to simplify my connections... I had all my usb devices plugged in to it so I only had to plug one cord in to the computer) Oh well....now I have to plug 2 cords in Rolling Eyes

Shawn
miles58
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RINO SHAWN wrote:
to simplify my connections... I had all my usb devices plugged in to it so I only had to plug one cord in to the computer) Oh well....now I have to plug 2 cords in Rolling Eyes

Shawn

Sounds like you are way too close to needing a "truck network"... dangerous territory...
RINO SHAWN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Sounds like you are way too close to needing a "truck network"... dangerous territory...

"truck network"???

I have my printer, wireless mouse, and cable for doing hot syncs to my palm on a 4 port hub. .....Is that too much for 1 usb port??
JT
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RINO SHAWN wrote:
Quote:

"truck network"???

I have my printer, wireless mouse, and cable for doing hot syncs to my palm on a 4 port hub. .....Is that too much for 1 usb port??

from- http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,78044,00.asp
With the use of a USB controller, a single USB port can theoretically support up to 127 different devices, although practically speaking, it's unlikely you'll ever run more than ten peripherals at one time. All the devices connected to a USB 1.1 controller have to share its 12-mbps bandwidth. If you need to run multiple devices that eat up more than 12 mbps, you can use a PCI adapter card to add a USB controller to your PC.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it that things described as EASY, are not? Rolling Eyes
RINO SHAWN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
Quote:
Why is it that things described as EASY, are not? Rolling Eyese:

Wow...that statement definateley sums it up for me Shocked I work on cars for a living....sometimes, what seems like the most routine, SIMPLE procedure....goes horribly wrong and HURTS ME WHERE IT COUNTS!!
(get your mind out of the gutter....I'm talking about my wallet) Embarassed
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thought I had an easy 10 minute task to do on a computer last night, took me 4 hours and looked like garbage, but it finally got done, and I was dissatisfied with it.

Just goes to show ya.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: