MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Confusion about the role the MnGCA takes...

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Confusion about the role the MnGCA takes... Reply with quote

Too bad about the eagles nest... Hope they find another place to live...

Last edited by jaywc7 on Sun May 08, 2005 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaywc7 wrote:
I reccomend someone of MnGCA authority looks into this immediately...

The MnGCA has nothing to do w/this. That is Groundspeak's deal.
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh... Ok

That will be all - thanks

Last edited by jaywc7 on Sun May 08, 2005 9:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaywc7 wrote:
Well - it obviously isn't a problem anymore since the nest blew down (which I just read). I realize that this is not the MnGCA's problem. However - I think as cachers, it should be of all our concern if we expect Geocaching to keep a good name. There are many things that are not someone's "responsibility" but can't you think of some that may be your concern anyways??? I sure can... For the eagles man - no hard feelings...

Mark a SBA (should be archived) on the cache and mtn-man (or another approver) will archive the cache. The MnGCA (as an association) has no jurisdiction or clout when it comes to caches or cachers.
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really though SB - that sounds good - no further discussion is needed...

Last edited by jaywc7 on Sun May 08, 2005 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if you're concerned about it then mark it as an SBA. MNGCA has no more authority over caches placed in the state than you or I do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah - I'm not concerned at all. I could care less...

Last edited by jaywc7 on Sun May 08, 2005 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take what you're saying below sarcastically:

jaywc7 wrote:
Ok - I understand - MnGCA should do nothing.

What would you like MNGCA to do? MNGCA doesn't have any power over Groundspeak to remove the cache. MNGCA doesn't have any power over the cacher who placed the cache. It would be irresponsible for a member of MNGCA to visit the cache and physically remove it. What's left? Did I miss anything?

jaywc7 wrote:
I - should do nothing (since I haven't been to the cache)

If anyone who has been there cares - they should mark "SBA".

A. You can mark a cache SBA without visiting it. Depending on the circumstances it can be poor practice, but it is allowed. Geocaching.com doesn't check to make sure that you've found the cache before you mark it SBA.

B. You can email the cache owner and explain the circumstances surrounding the cache and ask/suggest that they consider relocating or disabling it.

C. You can email contact@groundspeak.com (or whatever it is) and explain the situation yourself.

jaywc7 wrote:
If nobody does anything - that's ok too because the eagles are gone now.

Correct, it does appear to be a past issue. However, I think it's important to understand for this issue and future ones that MNGCA doesn't have any power to make cachers do anything.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
miles58
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay,

You're right of course, MGCA *should* act. But... MGCA has no charter other than common sense to act *on* in this instance. One or another of the officers would have to act as an individual, or take the organization into questionable territory.

You or I or better yet a cacher who's visited the cache would be a better choice yet. That leaves the organization out of the question as it should be.

Juvenile eagles in particular build multiple nests. An older pair may return to an unused nest because of disturbance at another. One or the other of a pair may be killed and it may be a year or more before the remaining bird finds a mate to return to the territory.

With an kind of luck maybe the owner will read this thread and realize that eagles may be unpredictable, and that they can be extremely sensitive to intrusion around the nest and not do that again.

If you want to make sure, you could always just email the owner a link to this thread.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miles58 wrote:
You're right of course, MGCA *should* act. But... MGCA has no charter other than common sense to act *on* in this instance. One or another of the officers would have to act as an individual, or take the organization into questionable territory.

Let me make this perfectly clear... The individuals that make up the organziation *should* act. The MnGCA should not and cannot act as we have absolutely nothing to do with the listing and delisting of caches.

Hopefully that will end this discussion.
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jay,

You're right of course, MGCA *should* act

Yeah - I know - thanks miles58

Quote:
Let me make this perfectly clear... The individuals that make up the organziation *should* act. The MnGCA should not and cannot act as we have absolutely nothing to do with the listing and delisting of caches.

Hopefully that will end this discussion.

Perfectly clear SB!!! Good Job! You get a cookie!!! Rolling Eyes

Discussion Ended...
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: