MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Map Resource

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimbreWlf
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Map Resource Reply with quote

In another topic I mentioned the place where I purchase my maps. I just read about the new Map Machine Kiosk where you can print your own. I haven't been to one yet, please post a review if you have.

"Get the exact map you need for your next outdoor adventure. National Geographic's Map Machine allows you to create a seamless topographic map for all 50 US states. Maps print in less than 4 minutes on waterproof, tear-resistant paper." (from National Geographic Maps)

Minnesota currenty has 4 TOPO! machines in the directory:

REI Bloomington
750 W. 79th St.
Bloomington, MN 55420
(952) 884-4315

Sportsman's Warehouse - Coon Rapids
12661 Riverdale Blvd
Coon Rapids, MN 55448

Gander Mountain (Lakeville)
16861 Kenyon Ave
Lakeville, MN 55044

Sportsman's Warehouse - St Cloud
60 Waite Ave South
St Cloud, MN 56301
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sportsman's Warehouse - St Cloud
60 Waite Ave South
St Cloud, MN 56301

Laughing Laughing Laughing That's where I used to work while going to flight school. What a place. Rolling Eyes

I would suggest just getting the waterproof-tear-resistant paper yourself (which is available for purchase at slightly smaller printer sizes), and going to the USGS kind websites, and printing for free! It takes regular ink believe it or not! You can do it, and just don't get quite as big of a map,,, but you will save lots and lots and LOTS ANS LOTS of MONEY!!!

Just go to the Sportsman's Warehouse, and ask for the special paper, or order it online. Even ask them at the "Gift Bar" and they will verify this.

I'm not kidding - I've seen people spend way more money then they need to...

Now, on the other hand - if it's a once in a while time thing, then I say just go spend the $$$ and get the larger one. Oh, and I tested the paper - it is waterproof, and tear resistant - but not too tear resistant! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Good luck!
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We bought the National Geographic Map series at Sam's Club for about $30.00. We print them out on our computer- but on regular paper. Garmin Maps are very outdated- but these seem to be uptodate-at least good enough for us.
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagleyes wrote:
We bought the National Geographic Map series at Sam's Club for about $30.00. We print them out on our computer- but on regular paper. Garmin Maps are very outdated- but these seem to be uptodate-at least good enough for us.

Exactly... Another thought for those looking to use waterproofing - keep in mind that you could do what eagleyes does, and then slide the page into a waterproof holder, which are available almost everywhere.

You bought it for $30 huh? It must have come down in price since I worked at SW...
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagleyes wrote:
Garmin Maps are very outdated

Which Garmin maps do you have that you feel are outdated? Comparing old maps from Garmin to new ones from NG isn't really fair.
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mapsource US topos on 3 CDs are the exact age right off from the USGS Topos which can be fairly old.

NG Backroads Explorer has 17 CDs that cover the entire US and are uptodate within the last few years- as far as we can tell for our use.- It works well for just printing maps or finding information, but it will not upload to a GPS. If you can figure out a way for us to upload this NG material- please tell us-

We have talked to Garmin and have told them how disappointed we are with the out dated material and their answer was they are only as good as the topos which are most old.
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It works well for just printing maps or finding information, but it will not upload to a GPS. If you can figure out a way for us to upload this NG material- please tell us-

I could be wrong on this, but my understanding when I worked at Sportsman's Warehouse, was that you can never load any Nat Geo mapping onto anywhere but it's regular usesage on a computer...

I know that people were always dissapointed when we told them that. I have both Microsoft Streets & Trips, and Rand McNally mapping. I can do quite a bit with them, and they are fairly new maps. Also - they can be updated through Microsoft and RM I think. The other side is that I don't think the topo portion of the maps are nearly as intricate as the USGS or the Nat Geo stuff. Once you zoom far enough in, you have no topo information. It's such a toss up!!! Why can't they just give us EXACTLY what we want???

Will it ever end?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: