MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CITO
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RINO SHAWN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miles58 wrote:
Quote:
If I get a little time free this evening maybe I'll build a battery pack for a FTF prize

Hey Dave, I set up the battery you gave me....very nice! Used my midtronics electronic battery tester to see what it put out.....124ca and still maintained around 13 volts....not too bad for something that small and light!!

I set it up with 12V cigarette llighter ends (1 male and 1 female) so I can plug my GPS car adapter into it ...or I can put the battery into my cars receptacle to charge it while I drive

For anyone out there ......you want to be FTF if you can get one of these!!

Shawn Very Happy
miles58
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: CITO Reply with quote

Shawn,

Did you have it done in time to use for this weekend's run over in Wi.?
miles58
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: CITO Reply with quote

Shawn,

I assume your reply means I shouldn't send the remaining dozen batteries I have to the recycler just yet?
RINO SHAWN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Shawn,

Did you have it done in time to use for this weekend's run over in Wi.?

Yes I did...I had my GPSr linked up to my laptop with my Rand McNally Street Finder running...Laptop and GPSr (with backlight on) were on the entire day.....worked awesome!.....even out in the sticks...I knew what the name of the next little road or street was going to be before I got there...Was real cool to navigate with a map on a huge screen. (although I think it is illegal to view a screen from the drivers position)

Those batteries are ideal for this kind of use!! in fact....I wouldn't mind having a second one Rolling Eyes (hint hint) Laughing
miles58
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawn,

I will put your name on one of the 12V 7AH batteries like you have, and I also have twenty two 12V 18AH batteries in even better shape that are waiting for me to bring them to the recycler.

The smaller one is really nice for dropping into the toys bag and doing caching with. The bigger one is what you'd want to run a laptop/GPS/Palm/everything else for a day if need be without a charge. It's physically the size of a lawnmower/motorcycle battery, too much for the toys bag, but ok to leave in the vehicle.

They are both deep cycle batteries so they're designed to be recharged many many times

Maybe I go to the meeting with my setup and all the batteries and save me a trip to the recycler.

I periodically have these when I change out the batteries in battery backup units on my networks. Some of these batteries will last only 4-5 years. Some will last 6-8 or more. A network needs to have reliable battery backup so I tend to make sure they get replaced every 4-5. My networks don't go down, my clients are happy, I just have to periodically make a run to the recycler. My UPS driver hates me when I change out the huge server units, that can mean he delivers five hundred pounds of batteries. I guess that's why I'm the last stop on his route.
RINO SHAWN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

I actually think I would rather have a 12V 18AH battery to "compliment" the smaller one. I would set it up to charge from a cars cigarette lighter and set it up with a power invertor and a 12V outlet for accessories....... I do A LOT of camping....even though we have electricity, would be nice to have portable power to bring outdoors for extended Laptop use or ? without being "confined" to my vehicle..... The smaller ones are awesome because they are light and smaller in size....but like you said, the larger one will power devices for a VERY long time. I have a "booster pack" that I occasionally use for similar activity...but it would be nice to keep that for emergency purpouses only. Rolling Eyes
miles58
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawn,

Done deal. I will put your name on four of the big ones and you can test them ands select out one or keep them all. Saves me lugging them to the recycler down in mpls.
RINO SHAWN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Thanks Dave!!

Keep me posted for possible CITO....I would gladly help out you and jambro....Otherwise...within the next couple weeks, I will be in the F.L. area hopefully picking up my new camper at Coates RV....Maybe I could meet you somewhere?? (still waiting for them to call me with the day I take delivery and trade in so I don't have a specific day yet) Confused

Shawn Very Happy
miles58
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawn,

Let's close this and use my private email (miles58 at gmail dot com) unless anyone else wants some free batteries.
jambro
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No free batteries, but are you guys going to do some CITO in the next couple days? mrs j and I are leaving Sunday for a cruise, so anytime between now and then...Jim
miles58
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can do it Saturday if anyone is up for then. Daytime during the week is out now, client is dumping too much work on me. Sunday I have to work for a different client.
RINO SHAWN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saturday is no good for me this weekend...will have a house full of company starting at noon.....Could probably make Sunday but it doesn't sound like that is working out...

I would really like to wait till we can coordinate it so jambro is included.... maybe sometime next weekend??? Could also manage an "after normal work hour" on a weeknight if need be.
jambro
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're leaving Sunday, back next Saturday eve. Next Sunday's no good either...we may be out of luck! I'm off the week of the 25th also, so, looking that far ahead, that would be a player also. Maybe after Breakfast Buddies on the 30th??? Just a thought...
miles58
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the junk in there has been there for 40 years. It's not going to make one oiota of difference if we wait until the first week of May other than the Morels should be up then.

If I suffer an uncontrollable urge to clean up a park between now and then I hear there's one down in St. Paul...

I read the news carefully tonight while waiting for my wife. Had some other guy reading over my shoulder. Didn't see anything that interested me before she got there though. A person oughta get a special attaboy for that one if they can manage it undetected between 3 and 7 PM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Central MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: