MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

National Park Stamps!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:28 am    Post subject: National Park Stamps! Reply with quote

I'm just wondering, in the midst of Geocachers, if anyone collects National Park stamps? I'm not refering to the postage looking ones that can be bought, but rather the ink stamps which display the date. My Grandmother got me into this long long ago, and I've been carrying around this silly book every since! Whenever I travel, I try to obtain as many stamps as I can. They usually display the date I was at the park, which is nice when looking back. The more I think about it, the more I realize this is so similar to geocaching! Traveling to a specific place, to obtain something specific that is there. It's really neat, and I reccomend checking it out if you do any traveling. The visitor center at a national park will usually sell the book which the stamps go in and the stamps are free. Sometimes I don't have my book with me, and I just get the stamp on a piece of paper and place it in the book. It's really neat.

Anyone ever heard of this?

I think it would be cool to somehow track which national parks an individual has been to, much like geocaching! I'm considering beginning something on that order on my website, and seeing if it gains interest of any sort...

Who knows? Maybe this could be as big as benchmarks! ::with laughter::
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do this as well. IMO, the passport is enough though.

I understand that the MN State Parks have a passport book as well. I would do this too but I won't visit state parks until they allow geocaching.
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup- we do the passport thing too- but we love state parks too much not to go to them because of their rules- (and agree that gcing on MN state parks should be allowed)
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw the national parks ones on my recent road trip, out at El Morro, interesting idea..

Perhaps the park systems should take up letterboxing, it might be a good case study for them to see the benefits of geocaching...
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So,,, some of you strictly don't visit state parks because they don't allow geocaching? Wow - what faith to the sport. I wish they allowed it, but aren't about to pass up some of the great parks regardless of geocaches or not.
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have faith that the board will make progress shortly.
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the parks could just hide a stamp in the woods and we could stamp our passports and report it as a find for our caching- well, I am good at throwing out ideas and some are good and some aren't-sometimes my ideas lead to creating other ideas- what the heck- maybe my brain is fried from all the lawn work I have been doing today and thinking of new cache sites as I rake!
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's an interesting idea.. I wonder if you could turn the stamping stations at the national parks into letterbox hybrid caches. Only difference is you don't stamp your stamp on anything...
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what I like- when something constructive coems from an idea- maybe it would work
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know if there's any national parks in the state? I'm guessing it'd be best to try with one of those first. That stinks though, I know there's one at El Morro in New Mexico, but I don't have the coordinates to the visitor center... not to mention I doubt I'd get a letterbox in another state approved.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyageurs.

Also Isle Royale.

http://data2.itc.nps.gov/parksearch/geosearch.cfm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Wayfarin Stranger
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some excellent locationless or virtual caches can be found in state parks.
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
Voyageurs.

Also Isle Royale.

Not to be picky but Isle Royal is offically in Michigan. Closer to MN and even closer to Ontario I believe. The story I've heard is that Ben Franklin had heard it was rich in copper so he made it part of the US while in talks with the Birtish after the Revolutionary War. Can any history buffs back this up?

Another national park-ish item here in MN is the Mississippi National River and Recreational Area:

http://www.nps.gov/miss/

I think you can get a stamp on Kellog in Saint Paul. I'll scout it tomorrow at lunch and report back.

On our epic caching trip out West in fall 2003 Jill and I got stamps at the Badlands NP, Devil's Tower National Monument, Little Bighorn National Battlefield, Yellowstone NP Old Faithful, Yellowstone NP Mammoth Hot Springs, Grand Teton NP Moose WY, Grand Teton NP John D. Rockefeller Parkway, Grand Teton NP Colter Bay, Big Hole National Battlefield, Lewis & Clark Historic Trail Wisdom MT, Nez Perce Historic Trail, Lewis & Clark HT Great Falls MT, Lewis & Clark HT North Dakota, Glacier NP Apgar MT, Glacier NP Logan Pass, and Glacier NP St. Mary MT. Those and many many caches.

During last year's MO cache trip I quietly got the stamps for both the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial [the arch], and the Lewis & Clark National Historic Trail Saint Louis.
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

towlebooth wrote:
The story I've heard is that Ben Franklin had heard it was rich in copper so he made it part of the US while in talks with the Birtish after the Revolutionary War. Can any history buffs back this up?

I've heard the same story.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

towlebooth wrote:
Pear Head wrote:
Voyageurs.

Also Isle Royale.

Not to be picky but Isle Royal is offically in Michigan. Closer to MN and even closer to Ontario I believe.

Ah - I see that now. It showed up on the MN map, seemed like it should be in Minnesota, so I just 'put it here'. Whoops...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: