MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eagles
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wayfarin Stranger
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Eagles Reply with quote

In case anyone may be interested, there is an eagle's aerie about a mile south of the I35 split on the east side of 35W right near where Rice Creek crosses. I have been watching this nest for the last 3 years as I have been driving by and nesting season is here again for these beautiful creatures. Yesterday I saw the pair mating near the nest and I'm sure eggs will be laid shortly. Last year 2 fledged and the year before, they were around, but did not use that particular aerie.
About the only way to observe is while driving by as there is no place to stop.
Xcel Energy has a great bird cam site here
in case anyone wants to check it out. I set Xcel as my home browser page this time every year. Excellent bird cam site.
Wayfarin Stranger
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy <----<<< link
5savages
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! I'll have to check it out next time I drive by. Last week I saw a bald eagle flying over the I-35W Minnesota River bridge. It's great to see them more and more each year.
pogopod
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lived on Bald Eagle Lake for 26 years. About 10 years ago all the neighbors got excited because we saw an eagle on Thanksgiving Day. No one had seen an eagle near the lake for years. About four years ago we spoted one again. In the past three years we have seen eagles every year, and last winter there were three on the ice in March at the same time. When one flew through my back yard last year I almost fell off of my chair. I have seen a couple within the last month so there is probably a nest nearby. I'll keep you posted.
Wayfarin Stranger
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also an aerie on White Bear Lake on the western side of Manitou Island and another that most know about on Keller Lake on the south side of 36. I know of a couple others up north also. There are many eagles in Minnesota this year.
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a couple of nests down by the Bloomington Ferry Bridge--way back in '02, there used to be a couple of caches down there--Bloomington Ferry Bridge and Where Eagles Dare (kinda)--on the first one, there was a cache under the bridge, and I startled an eagle roosting there and had it fly right past my head--of course, he was already lost in the woods by the time I was able to get my camera out.
miles58
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pair along the freeway has been trying for years. They had a nest on the powerline behind Gander, then NW of the strawberry farm, just on the NW corner of Geoge Watch lake (sort of across from the chairs in the tree), and out on the island in Rondeau lake.

I think one of the pair was new last year.
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also a really nice Eagle nest on Chisago Lake (Chisago City). You have to head towards the South end towards "Slimmer's Slough". I spend a great deal of time each year on South Lindstrom Lake and Chisago Lake. I go check out the Eagles each year. There is a point with markings around it so you don't get too close. It's easy to see them though, and the nest. Have some great photos with a zoom lens. The only thing not so great about them is their soaring area! I fly small planes into Osceola, WI on a fairly regular basis. Generally, I'm beginning my descent over I-35 or so headed East. I'm always catious when descending over the Chisago Lakes area because of all the Eagles. Once, I was at about 4500 feet, and I counted 5 or 6 soaring beneath me at about 3500 feet! This is rather scarry. A sparrow or two through a Duchess prop is no big deal,,, but a Bald Eagle could be catastrophic!
pogopod
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The eagles I mentioned in an earlier post do have a nest on Bald Eagle Lake. For those of you who want to see eagles easily this is a great location and has the benefit of being near a couple of caches as well. Go to the corner of Ramsey County H2 and West Bald Eagle Boulevard (check out GGCWAQ while you are there) Go north along the lake. There are houses on your left as you go north. After the last house on the left look for tall trees with a large nest near the top of one tree. It is set back from the road about 300 yards with open field in front of them.You can park on the left side of the road. There is a lot of activity there now and my naturalist neighbor says she is sure there are eggs in the nest.
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
sure there are eggs in the nest

That's very neat! The Bald Eagle population has been on the rise for quite some time now. It's good to have more of them around.
Wayfarin Stranger
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CLICK
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Eagle's nest near Highway 36 in Maplewood! Reply with quote

There is a huge bald eagle's nest in the middle of Maplewood, right on highway 36, of all places. A couple of weeks ago, I was driving east on 36, and about 1/4 mile before the exit to southbound Highway 61, I noticed a bald eagle fly over the highway and up into a tree. I was able to glance up for a moment and saw the nest. It is literally right on the side of the highway-- I couldn't believe it when I first saw it. I often see both the mom and dad eagle in the nest.

The nest overlooks Keller Lake, which has lots of panfish in it, so I'm sure the eagle family has a plentiful food source.

There are a couple of places that Ramsey County has designated as "nest viewing areas." The best place to view is at these coordinates: 45.00.747, 93.03.699. Take highway 36 and exit into northbound highway 61, then to your left, watch for the sign that says "frontage road"; take that around until you reach the viewing area. Bring binoculars if you've got 'em, or a camera with a telephoto lens.

There is also a public fishing area about 60 ft. down the road from there.

What a spectacular success story for conservation efforts, particularly concerning the bald eagle.
miles58
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really cool. The eagles I have been around in the past would bitch if you got within a quarter mile of their nest, even way out in the bush in Canada where the never see anyone.

The number that readily tolerate people around here is just staggering. The pair on White Bear pays no mind to boats at all that I can tell. The pair on 35W on the north end of Peltier lake has a snowmobile trail right under their nest damn near. The pair just north of South Center is right on the edge of a farm field.

We need to enjoy them as much as we can because with the toxin levels in the fish being high enough that we are told to limit consumption for people to a couple times a month, and none for pregnant women or children it doesn't look to last.
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I really couldn't believe that a pair of nesting eagles would choose a tree that is literally about 15 feet off a busy highway. It's a tall tree, and the topmost branches are mostly dead wood, so the nest is really easy to spot. Well worth a trip to the east metro.
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last weekend up in Grand Rapids, Silent Bob and I did this cache that was directly underneath an eagle's nest. From the description it sounds like the cache owner assumed this was an "old" nest but there was clearly an adult hunkering down in the nest when we were there. In my log, I suggested that the cache be moved back a few hundred feet at least, but so far the owner hasn't reacted in any way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: