MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Found: abandoned Trails Rest cache

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GPSr
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Found: abandoned Trails Rest cache Reply with quote

My son (firefox1) and I were out searching for Stumpy on the Luce today and while looking we found an abandoned tupperware container marked 'Trails Rest' inside the base of a tree about 60-70 feet SW of ground zero. The first log was dated ?/31/01 by cache trackers and the last log on 1/12/02 by bsteeboy. I tried to look it up using some of the past finders user stats but it didn't show up on their logs either. Wouldn't it show as archived? Any ideas? Confused
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?pf=&guid=ad790662-5aad-43c9-844e-a34e266f9f22&decrypt=y&log=

I find it ironic the cache was left as "litter" given this persons apparent concern with the environmental impact of our hobby. Rolling Eyes
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
GPSr
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply sui. Are archived caches after a certain age only viewable to premium members? I still can't get it to come up except through your link. The cache coord's appear correct but not the people listed in the log. They are: cache trackers, InhoGeo, voyageurette, Eroom, Ko_Dat_Vey, no date and it looks like wunhung(?) and the last entry by Bsteeboy on 1/12/02. It was pretty soaked and the tupperware container lid was cracked. I removed it so it won't cause any confusion with Stumpy.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually find them with the map feature through gc.com. It might be a premium thing.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are archived caches after a certain age only viewable to premium members?

Quote:
I usually find them with the map feature through gc.com. It might be a premium thing.

Searching for archives (by location) can only be done by premium members, through the map feature, as far as I know. I think archives show up in a members profile/stats.

This one is interesting. I logged it, but don't remember it. Patroller states that logs were deleted. Previously, a cache owner could delete logs, and NO notification e-mail would be sent. Unless you watched your numbers, or monitored your posts, there was no way of knowing if this had happened.

I had visited Patroller's virtual, and months later noticed that my log was missing. I posted again, and (I believe) it's still there.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsteeboy only logged three caches on that date, none of them in the area you found the cache. I quickly scanned Eroom and wunhung and found nothing.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh

Patroller placed a new cache (GCKHYZ) last September at Sand Dunes State Forest. I think that's the place where I stopped and requested permission (denied)to place a cache. Anyway, check this out:

http://www.skinnyski.com/trails/articles/sanddunes-1.html
kleiner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:

Patroller placed a new cache (GCKHYZ) last September at Sand Dunes State Forest. I think that's the place where I stopped and requested permission (denied)to place a cache.

Since this area is some of my olden stomping grounds I thought I would chime in. This is State Forest but, there is the adjoining Sherburne National Refuge. Very easy to cross from one to the other without knowing it. In the Forest caching is generally allowed, I have asked permission years ago, (there are some SNAs where it was not) in the National Refuge the recent policy is no caching allowed.
That being said things and personel change over time. In the case of the Forest, different job responsibilities have created cross over of job assignments. Also, new folks have come in to do some of the different tasks. I think they try to cover the campground as one, the trails as another, and the forest maintainence with yet another group of folks. I have always found the various rangers to be receptive to responding about the questions I have asked. Just have to find the right one for the area you are asking about. The Patroller is a ranger there, at least during last summer and fall. I was in touch with him via email several times. We even thought about doing a large multi together at one time. Never really got to know any more about him. I'm guessing that they bounce him around to different forests a lot. That is probably why he closes down his caches as he moves on. Just a guess on my part. He seemed to be pretty genuine, via email, to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: