MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good and bad things about caching in the desert Southwest.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Good and bad things about caching in the desert Southwest. Reply with quote

I’m just back from my trip to southern Arizona… great times with the family, laughing almost too much, and a bit sore from overworking a hamstring muscle while climbing in the White Tank Mountains. Though I was extremely busy doing the sight-seeing thing, I managed to nab 13 caches in the Phoenix environs. While doing so, I made a mental note to compare and contrast the Arizona caching experience to Minnesota’s, and came up with a few observations:

GOOD: In late November, it still feels like summer, but there are no bugs.
BAD: There are scorpions. These are technically not insects, but in the same family as spiders. Poisonous ones.

GOOD: You can pretty much guarantee that your weather will be great while caching.
BAD: What are those thousands of HOLES in the ground all about?!! Some say rattlesnakes live in them… others say gophers… watch your step...

GOOD: You can’t hide a cache in a swamp in Arizona, because there are no swamps.
BAD: When Arizonians say they hid a cache “near a river”, they’re just kidding. There ARE no rivers in Arizona with actual WATER in them (except maybe the Colorado River).

GOOD: You can see your goal’s terrain for a long way off.
BAD: There are only so many bushes you can hide a cache under. Most of these have giant thorns on them.

GOOD: You can’t hide caches in stumps.
BAD: Cactus -- alive or dead-- make bad hiding places.

GOOD: Your GPSr will not get wet, unless you spill a drink on it.
BAD: Your GPSr will get extremely dusty the minute you take it out of its case.

Glad to be back in the Great White North! Bring on the winter caching!!
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha, suddenly caching in Minnesota seems a lot more sane Smile

WB buzzygirl, sounds like you had a fun trip.
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:28 am    Post subject: SW caching.... Reply with quote

We were caching in the SW last winter- add to the scorpions: snakes, javelina's, and cougers.
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but actually, the only wildlife I saw was a big jackrabbit. Still, I wasn't about to go poking around in those mysterious holes in the ground!
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Yup Reply with quote

me either.
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last March, I hit most of the virts in Joshua Tree with my mom, who lives in So. Cal.--I suppose it doesn't really count as caching in the desert Southwest when you don't have to poke around in a rattle-snake's or scorpion's home to find the cache. Also, in J.T., most the caches are named "Dead Man's...." something--a local quirk I never figured out.
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will have to compare notes when I get back. Going to Mesa, AR over x-mas. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Going to Mesa, AR over x-mas

So how was the trip?
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sui generis wrote:
Quote:
Going to Mesa, AR over x-mas

So how was the trip?

Only I could get so busy the night before, (a long story about horses) that I forgot to pack the GPS and prnt a buch of cache pages. Embarassed

Did get bench marks at the Hoover Dam though, and can add lots of cayotes to the wild life list.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpions are very tasty, with catsup.
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
Scorpions are very tasty, with catsup.

And there's a built-in toothpick at the end of their tails! Shocked
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am finishing my airline training right now, and living temporarily in Mesa, Arizona... I went out one day to take a stab at a couple caches, but found myself incredibly scarred at what might be lurking in the brush! After some aimless rooting around with a leather glove on,,, I gave up on 2 caches. Although I really want to do some caching, I just can't bring myself to stick my hands in places I cannot see very well. Besides, I'm flying 3-4hours/day, 7days/week, and don't really have the time anyways. Oh well, it was a fun thought... Perhapps in May when I return for a weekend, I will get the GC out of my system in good 'ole MN!

If anyone is interested in seeing what I'm doing down here, I'm keeping somewhat of a journal. Just take a look at this link, and you'll see what I've been up to:

www.swissperpetual.com/arizona.html

Later all!

~ jaywc7 Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: