MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USGS - The National Map Corps
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With as many people getting involved in the Minnesota area, maybe RR could create a map that displays the quads and who is surveying the quad. That way new people could select quads that they know are not already accounted for.

If I had the technical expertise I'd do it but, I don't know html from ADA.
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

might not need to be all that sophisticated. If someone just kept a list of what people are doing what quads (I believe they're all named?) it'd be a good start.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC0GRN wrote:
might not need to be all that sophisticated. If someone just kept a list of what people are doing what quads (I believe they're all named?) it'd be a good start.

I'll take that challenge.

Please post your assigned quads on the thread USGS NMC Quad List

Last edited by Pear Head on Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dances With Beehives
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'm mailing my application in the morning, along with 2nd & 3rd choices.
I'll let you know what I end up with.
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my app, and I'm filling it out as soon as I'm done messing around with this internet thingy. My choices, in order of preference, are going to be Orchard Lake, New Market, or Castle Rock--I'll be sure to post to the other forum what I end up with. I can hardly wait to see what these world-famous badges look like!!! Reading everyone's opinion of them, it makes me think of my Certificates of Completion (a.k.a. diplomas) from Airborne (sorry, arcticabn) and Infantry Officer Basic Course--my diploma for completing a weekend course on being an instructor for MILES training (basically a multi-million dollar Military version of laser tag--shoot somebody, set off their alarm) came in the form of a scroll with gold leaf and all (but the king didn't sign it with his own rubber stamp)--and my diplomas from two of the most prestigious Army schools look like something that was just thrown together at the last minute on a pre-printed background with my name and rank typed in.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think more like the card you got for completing your certification for operating a gas lantern or a chain saw. Very Happy
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
I read the volunteer guide and I have an idea of the information that you are collecting. I cannot find the information on the map though. I looked and looked but couldn't find how that information ends up in a format that the public uses..?

Has anyone seen information that the NMC has gathered that appeared on the National Map? I assume no one has submitted data so you don't see your OWN data but I'm curious how the NMC data appears on the map...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NM is a digitial effort. The map is a series of layers with various type of data. You can access the NM on line from their web site.

As far as the data we collect, I assume that they use it to coorelate with historical data and airborne data to validate locations.

Much of the data we are to collect is on manmade objects. In my quad the last aerial imagery was from 1992. Therefore there is quite a lot of new construction.

Even then though only providing a single coordinate does not provide series mapping to occur. However, it does allow for basic simbology to be placed on a map.

As far as the digital map goes, in order to view data you have to choose that data from the expandable filters on the right side of the map.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:
The NM is a digitial effort. The map is a series of layers with various type of data. You can access the NM on line from their web site.

I have found that...
Arcticabn wrote:
As far as the data we collect, I assume that they use it to coorelate with historical data and airborne data to validate locations.

Much of the data we are to collect is on manmade objects. In my quad the last aerial imagery was from 1992. Therefore there is quite a lot of new construction.

Even then though only providing a single coordinate does not provide series mapping to occur. However, it does allow for basic simbology to be placed on a map.

That doesn't add up (to me at least). We are collecting data for very specific structures - why would they only update their map with the structures that we collect instead of ALL new structures?

If they are using it to validate locations, where is there a list of locations to begin with? The topo maps include locations of many structures, but not with the specifics that we are collecting...
Arcticabn wrote:
As far as the digital map goes, in order to view data you have to choose that data from the expandable filters on the right side of the map.

Right - so which filter is the one that will display the data we are collecting? There are a lot of filters, from many different sources such as the Census Bureau, state agencies I believe, etc, etc. I haven't found one that will display anything remotely close to what we are collecting.

I looked at the interactive map that someone wrote about a week or two ago from the MN DNR - that map is very detailed and appears to show the data that the collectors are collecting (I was looking at fire hydrants in a two block area in St. Paul I think). The National Map doesn't show stuff like this..

I would expect to see the data we are collecting, with some of the specifics, showing up on the map. Maybe I'm misunderstanding here...

I know that my quad has a very limited amount of data to collect in it (that's part of the reason that I started with the one I did). I should be able to finish it in less than a day once I get started. I drive past a large amount of the locations that the NMC wants to collect on a daily or weekly basis. Once I submit my data I will be curious to see how it is applied.
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can one find actual hard copies of USGS quads? Right now, you can scratch REI and Gander Mountain off the list--all they have is National Geographic TOPO, which I already have--since those maps are seamless, it kind of makes it hard to stay in my sector as far as surveying my quad. I suppose I can just wait to get my copy in the mail, but it would be nice to get started soon, and it'd also be nice to have more than one as a back-up.
TimbreWlf
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get my lake maps, and other map reading supplies from Latitudes Map and Travel Store. They will also custom print maps on site.

4811 Excelsior Blvd.
(1/2 mile east of Hwy. 100)
St. Louis Park, MN 55416

http://www.latitudesmapstore.com/template.cfm
(Edit: Added website address)
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, TW--I just happen to be headed for that part of the metro this afternoon. I'll even bring my lovely badge and see if we get a discount.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: