MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Updates for Garmin Firmware

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Updates for Garmin Firmware Reply with quote

The Garmin website has posted firmware updates for many of its units. One of the supposed fixes is to elminate occasional lockups when recalculating an autoroute. This is a bug that I know at least a few of us have encountered.

Last edited by Moe the Sleaze on Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update Moe. I haven't upgraded my CS since I purchased it and although I've only experienced the autorouting lock up once I feel it's definitly well worth the time to fix Smile
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*green* wrote:
Do I need to update my Legend? I've only had it less than a month.

There are instructions on how to check your firmware version. I haven't had an Etrex series in a while so I forget. In fact, I haven't checked my 76CS yet so I'll be looking that up when I get home.

Quote:
Does one need to update often?

Only as often as Garmin updates the firmware which usually is only one or two times a year depending on the age of the unit. In the black and white (B&W) Legend's case it's probably fairly stable and they are likely working on issues in the newer units. If you have a Color Legend then you might want to check into it.

Quote:
Autoroute? I know nothing about that, but am thinking ittiz something I don't do/can't do yet as I don't have any of the Garmin maps ("firmware"?). Correct?

Autorouting is built into the GPS itself and it calculates turn-by-turn directions from point A to point B. The B&W Legend does not offer autorouting but the color one does. You do need to have some sort of mapset on the unit in order to autoroute. Typically it is recommended that you use Metroguide but I haven't haven't found too many problems using their older stuff.
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything you need to know is here:

http://www.garmin.com/support/download.jsp

If it's not on the page, there are other support pages at Garmin that will help you out.

Cheers,
-Aaron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: