MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Accidently Deleted Waypoints

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MN Lost Boy
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:28 am    Post subject: Accidently Deleted Waypoints Reply with quote

Question
I turned my "GEKO" on yesterday and all my waypoints were gone.
I haven't felt so empty since getting dumped in college...

Can this happen accidently? Crying or Very sad
or
Am I so stupid that I did it my self and didn't know it? Embarassed

Is there a way to make a back-up other than just writing them all down in a notebook????

Lost Boy Question Question Question

When I found the skull in the woods, the first thing I did was call the police. But then I got curious about it. I picked it up, and started wondering who this person was, and why he had deer horns.
LanceVE
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how they ended up dissapearing in your unit.... It looks like according to Garmin, the Geko's are supposed to store waypoints in non-volatile memory (Doesn't depend on the batteries to keep the memory)...

Backup depends on which model you have.... If you have the 101, you're out of luck. If you have the 201 or higher, you should have a data cable port on your unit (aka RS232). What you would need is the correct cable to connect up to your computer. Then you could use any of the programs like EasyGPS (www.easygps.com - free. Specific Geocaching version linked from the geocaching.com 'Links' page) for waypoint management....

Good Luck Exclamation
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you had to do any firmware updates yet, like we do with the Etrex Vista? A couple of the half-dozen or so firmware updates I've done with my Vista wiped out all my stored waypoints and routes. I've started dumping my GPS back into Mapsource on my PC every once in a while just so I know I can still get them if my memory gets wiped again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: