MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Benchmark Milestones
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Benchmark Milestones Reply with quote

Just wanted to mention that in addition to caches and travelbugs, benchmark milestones can be posted to the main site as well. MnGCA members can enter their own and others can bring them to our attention in the Arrow milestone thread.

So who's got 50 benchmark finds?
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hopefully I'll get some more in this summer. Now that I've cleared the area around my place of caches, might as well get the benchmarks I can find too.
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be impressed if anyone hits a benchmark milestone in the next couple of days, especially in the south metro--I think there's still a couple of water towers and standpipes in the area that I haven't logged yet, and that's all that isn't buried under a ton of snow.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC0GRN wrote:
hopefully I'll get some more in this summer. Now that I've cleared the area around my place of caches, might as well get the benchmarks I can find too.

That was the reason that the count went up for myself. I did all of the caches in the area and it got down to either hunting BMs or driving long distances for caches.

I also ended up in Bemidji for a number of weeks last fall. There are almost no caches in the area so I hunted BMs instead. I got most everything within a 15 mile radius or so, and quite a few more outside of that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
fsu*noles
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL I was out in Belgrade, MN a couple of weeks ago, and stopped to photograph some benchmark disks while I was there. They're stamped 2004, so they'll pr'bly never make the groundspeak database, but I took pictures and marked the coords anyway.

It appears that the MNDOT employee that monumented these has a sense of humor - they were all in a row within .3 miles, and were called DERAIL, LIES, and MICHELOB. Yes, DERAIL is right next to the railroad tracks. Your guess is as good as mine on the other two, but hey, the guy was obviously having fun with his job! Anyway, fwiw...

-Ken
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's funny, least those guys monumenting the benchmarks get to have a little fun with it.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There are almost no caches in the area

Hmmmm
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about placing some caches but couldn't find anyone that was willing to maintain them. I don't travel to the area often enough to feel like I could responsibly maintain them. I don't have any problem getting a cache or two started but my travel there is pretty sporatic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked, and I'm at 66 benchmark finds--I think my 50th was last April, so I won't add it to the milestones. I hit 3 that day, but since I'm a nanobrewer, I'd like to think my milestone was Saint Paul Hamm's Brewery Stack.
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15Tango wrote:
I just checked, and I'm at 66 benchmark finds--I think my 50th was last April, so I won't add it to the milestones. I hit 3 that day, but since I'm a nanobrewer, I'd like to think my milestone was Saint Paul Hamm's Brewery Stack.

Entered it for you. I encourage everyone to enter their past milestones. Gives a sense of history.
miles58
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: unlisted BM Reply with quote

Question:

What about a benchmark that isn't listed? I found one at the end of the wing dam by where Moving 123 is waiting now. I checked the BMs on the site and it doesn't show.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: unlisted BM Reply with quote

miles58 wrote:
Question:

What about a benchmark that isn't listed? I found one at the end of the wing dam by where Moving 123 is waiting now. I checked the BMs on the site and it doesn't show.

I have found numerous unloggable benchmarks. They don't get logged thus they don't count in my book.
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey- I found my first one today!! It's a milestone for us-a beginning.
BananaForce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: unlisted BM Reply with quote

miles58 wrote:
Question:

An unlisted benchmark would make a for a good stage in a multi. Is that done much?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: unlisted BM Reply with quote

BananaForce wrote:
An unlisted benchmark would make a for a good stage in a multi. Is that done much?

I've only seen listed benchmarks used for stages in a multi.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Benchmarking All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: