MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Firewise Minnesota (MN Wildfire Risk Mitigation)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fsu*noles
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Firewise Minnesota (MN Wildfire Risk Mitigation) Reply with quote

Hmm, not sure if this warrants a new thread as I'm not sure if this is new information or not - I'll give it a shot and find out.

So I, like others, responded to the USGS National Map Corps at nationalmap.gov - however, my response was a little different than everyone elses. It sounds like everyone else got a packet in the mail to pick quadrants, whereas I received the following e-mail today from Firewise Minnesota instead...looks like two unrelated (but possibly partnered?) organizations. I'm not sure if I'll receive a packet from the Map Corps, but I'll wait a week or so and find out. In the meantime, I thought I'd pass this info along to see if anyone else got it, or thought it looked interesting, or worthwhile, and wanted to find out more. My apologies if this actually IS the same thing, it doesn't look like it at first blush but I've made bigger mistakes so what the heck. Smile Thanks...enjoy!

-Ken

Quoting Tom Eiber <tom.eiber@dnr.state.mn.us>:

Re: GPS and Critical Infrastructure

Your communications with USGS have been passed to me.

I am project consultant for Minnesota's Wildfire Risk Mitigation project, locally known as Firewise Minnesota. As part of this project, we as working with a wide array of people and agencies to "map stuff" in Minnesota. Our current protocol identifies some 200+ items and our current "dot count" exceeds 250,000. In a way, you could think of the state, all 54,000,000 acres of it to be the biggest geocaching project around.

Basically, we seek to geolocate items of infrastructure with some level of accuracy. We have been working with the National Map people for over a year now. In addition, we have given briefs to federal and state emergency management and homeland security groups to the tune of a dozen or so. I personally presented a brief to NGA's HIFLD group in DC back in February.

What do we map. I'll attach the full list, but everything from book centers to schools to fire stations to electricical generators to cell towers to boat launches. We make few assumptions on "critical" infrastructure. We figure its only critical when you need it and then its too late. I can locate a e911 post in Pine County at midnight in a snowstorm by using the GPS to navigate to a location. This is essentially "geocaching" so I don't need to elaborate. We have prototyping vehicle units that display the constelaltion of fire hydrants in a community as the fire truck moves along. Wheres the nearest fire hydrant just became a floating multiple choice question.

If you and your group would like to work with us, we'd love to welcome you on board. Take a look at

www.dnr.state.mn.us/maps/firewise

This is a site underdevelopment and does not link to anything yet.

Attached is our current CIAP listing.

We also work with schools and provide GIS software to groups working with us.

Tom Eiber, Project Consultant
Wildland Urban Interface Project
Minnesota DNR - Forestry
500 Lafayette Road, M.S. 44
St. Paul, MN 55155-4044

651.297.3417 (V)
651.296.5954 (F)
tom.eiber@dnr.state.mn.us
www.dnr.state.mn.us/firewise
jambro
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they have badges?? Badges are cool......(sorry, couldn't help myself)
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah, Cool! If you're up for it, volunteer! That sounds more exciting than the National Map Corps IMHO.

Thanks for the info!

Wish their online map worked in Safari.

Let us know if you end up going for it or not. I hope someone we know takes interest in it far enough...

-Aaron
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds interesting, and almost the same idea. Let me know if ya get more infor FSU*noles, I'd be willing to check it out.
Dances With Beehives
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for passing this on.....I never got my packet, or any word from the USGS....so I'm going to have a look at this.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh

I gleaned the e-mail address from Ken's post, and sent the following:

>>> "Ian" <kingboreas@hotmail.com> 3/8/2005 1:38:06 AM >>>

Tom,

I am a member of the Minnesota Geocaching Association, and saw some
info posted by Ken, FSU*Noles

If you could put me on your list, or send more info, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Ian AKA King Boreas

His response:

Wow, quick response, I need to put together some information in a
silghtly altered matter. Give me a day or two to get back to you. Where
are you located?

Quote:
Let's not overwhelm the guy. Whatever I get from him will be posted here.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am a member of the Minnesota Geocaching Association

Ooops

I guess I lied but it was an honest mistake. These things are so confusing sometimes.

arrive...raise heck...leave (SCSA)
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh
fsu*noles
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for the positive responses - I will definitely try to pitch in as much as I can on this one. Given the fact that I will be travelling for business from April-November, it won't be much at first - but I will definitely pull my weight as much as I can when home, and definitely after November '05!

Here's Tom's response to me today, it sounds like some kind of general group meeting would be a good way to start with those who are interested. I was very clear in my response that I was NOT speaking for the MNGCA, nor did I represent them as "my group" like he kept saying, but that I was merely an individual looking to help. That being said, it already looks like we have 4 or 5 interested people right now, so I'm sure between us we'll be able to do some good? Here's his reply, lmk what you think - thanks!

-Ken

Quoting Tom Eiber <tom.eiber@dnr.state.mn.us>:

Re: GPS and Critical Infrastructure

Your keen and vibrant response appreciated. I don't see any problem with your posting information, but I'd like the opportunity to "revisit" the text a bit. As far as a broader participation is concerned, wonderful. Its a big state, full of "stuff". Very, very useful information being collected. Wider participation will speed our progress. I love being threatened with "solutions".

I'd very much like to sit down with you and brief you on the project and discuss potential "side bars" that would be of interest to your group. We view the relm of GPS in a broader context including GIS and "mapping", commonly called Geographic Information Technology, ie. GIT. Next week is full of opportunities, if fact, embarassingly empty at this point. Where are you at?

Tom Eiber, Project Consultant
Wildland Urban Interface Project
Minnesota DNR - Forestry
500 Lafayette Road, M.S. 44
St. Paul, MN 55155-4044

651.297.3417 (V)
651.296.5954 (F)
tom.eiber@dnr.state.mn.us
www.dnr.state.mn.us/firewise
GPSr
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have some time to donate to this project too.
Keep us posted of any meetings.
Jeff
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized this guy is affiliated with the DNR. Helping out on this might strengthen relations with those guys!
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It almost seems like one can collect data for both at the same time. My initial impression is that the state is looking for much of the same data as the NMC, only more detailed (fire hydrants for example)? Interesting...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My initial impression is that the state is looking for much of the same data as the NMC, only more detailed (fire hydrants for example)?

From the e-mail I received, the DNR just wants us to go nuts and record as much as possible of pretty much everything.
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've emailed and volunteered to help within my mapcorps quadrant (and probably a wee bit south near my home. Can't skip the hydrants that are of most importance!

Please keep me in mind for the meetings etc.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DNR wrote:
What do we map. I'll attach the full list, but everything from book centers to schools to fire stations to electricical generators to cell towers to boat launches.

sui generis wrote:
From the e-mail I received, the DNR just wants us to go nuts and record as much as possible of pretty much everything.

Do you have the list that they sent you of the 200 some items? I'd like to see what else is on it.

I looked at their map some and, while I can tell some of what they are mapping, I couldn't tell much. They already seem to have a handle on fire departments, schools, and airports. I also see some hospitals but not all. I've seen hydrants mapped in St. Paul but I didn't see much else at first glance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: