MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Member's Only Caches

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jambro
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Member's Only Caches Reply with quote

Hi folks - In my continuing effort as a relative newbie to learn more about geocaching, I have a question. I've been taken to task in a private email about making my recent cache a member's only cache, was told the MOC's are "tainted" (not sure what that means), and I'm wondering if the general consensus is similar. My thinking is this: I like to put FTF prizes in my caches, not hugely expensive stuff, but they are there just the same. I think it's only fair that those members who support the website financially have first crack at the cache and the FTF prize. I've kept my other caches MOC's for about a week, then opened them up, which is what I will do this time also. Granted, there are problems with the website - slow and overworked servers comes directly to mind. But, it is still the overwhelming centerpiece of the game. Is this unreasonable, and does making a cache a MOC diminish it somehow? Looking forward to seeing your thoughts...thanks.
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally do not support Groundspeak, Inc. for a number of reasons which I feel are legitimate enough for them to not deserve a penny from me. Unfortunately, they are currently the only viable cache listing service, so I'm somewhat stuck with them. We all are. Hopefully that will change soon. There's been a number of attempts to create a more open and stable cache listing service, but the right people haven't come together yet to make something really work.

If you want to make your cache members only to prevent cache thieves and people that are not serious geocachers from getting to your cache, that's great.

If you're making it members only specifically as support for Groundspeak, Inc., I would not think that's a very good reason.

The majority of members only caches in the state are King Boreas', and generally his policy with me is that if I want to find it, he unlocks it briefly for me so I can get the coords and log it.

I know there are various opinions on this. Those are my thoughts.

-Aaron
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've received a similar e-mail and while I should have just ignored that particular individual I didn't... I told the individual exactly why I changed a majority of my caches to MOC and of course I received no reply.

It amazes me that someone feels no remorse in preaching their philosophy to others and remained silent when (what I felt was) a valid explanation was given.

It also amazed me that I was told that my caches would no longer be found by this particular individual because some were MOC yet the person went out within the next couple of days and attempted one (granted it wasn't MOC).

Personally, I would prefer to see people leaving their caches open to the world. I made several of mine MOC as a deterrent against possible theft, vandalism, and a cacher trying to carry on a conversation with mtn-man through one of my cache pages. I feel that I had a valid reason to do so and I honestly believe that as a cache owner you have the right to handle your caches in any manner you see fit.

My advice? Ignore the individual.

Several other people have asked me about my reason for going MOC and I told them that I am happy to open the caches up for them to log at their request.
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It never ceases to amaze me how something as silly and meaningless as geocaching can be so full of political hot buttons!

There are certain types of caches that I don't enjoy hunting and so I just don't go after those. I would never presume to email a person who hides those types and suggest they stop doing so. Ironically, the person I suspect emailed Jambro is one who has been hiding a lot of caches lately of the types I'm not interested in. To each his own.
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is indeed a hot button topic for some. To each their own.

Jambro - if you want to make yours member only, go for it. Don't let them get you down. Do note though that many are not premium members and others who are may not visit the cache for personal/political reasons.

Look back a year or so for threads on the jeep travelbugs.

People have strong feelings regarding geocaching.com as a business and as an information owner, but as s4xton points out there is no true alternative that is as well supported or used.

This is a fun sport everyone. If you are worked up over something to such an extent that you aren't having fun anymore there is a problem. Given that most geocachers are still having fun, it might not be geocaching.com's problem.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel left out. Perhaps the person never looked for any of mine, anyway. If I wasn't so damn tired from yesterday, and the post-event, I could probably study the previous posts, and do a little research to get a good guess. who it is. Why bother.

At times I guess I've had several dozen tainted caches. Helps cut down on the e-mails.

Good night, ladies and gentlemen. Smile
RINO SHAWN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 cents worth: I like the thought process that Jambro uses.....(temporary set up as a MOC to protect first finders prizes, etc.)

I did the same thing with a recent micro cache I hid......No first finders prize (too small a container) but I wanted someone "serious about geocaching" to find it first.....as soon as it was found, I opened the cache up for everyone.

This is how I like to do it......Others may have there own reasons/ ideas for keeping them a MOC for long periods of time. Everyone is entitled to there own methods and I for one would never email or question there reasoning.

Shawn Wink
jambro
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all. My first impression was summed up beautifully by Moe:

"It never ceases to amaze me how something as silly and meaningless as geocaching can be so full of political hot buttons! "

I'm gonna make caches that I like, and I'm gonna make them how I like, bottom line. We're all free to find or not find any particular cache as we please, but it wouldn't even occur to me to try to tell someone else how to run their show. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't being unreasonable.

Again, thanks.

(edited to correct a typo)

Last edited by jambro on Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jambro wrote:
I'm gonna make caches that I like, and I'm gonna make them how I like, bottom line. We're all free to find or not find any particular cache as we please, but it wouldn't even occur to me to try to tell someone else how to run their show.

That's the attitude everyone should have. Smile I agree with your conclusion 100%.

-Aaron
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that King Boreas and at least one other person have listed some of their caches as members-only, because their caches were being ransacked by goons. But even if that weren't the case, I don't mind. I don't have a subscription to geocaching.com's member services, mostly because I have no real use for them. I can't download tons of waypoints, and that would be the only reason that I would subscribe.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The majority of members only caches in the state are King Boreas', and generally his policy with me is that if I want to find it, he unlocks it briefly for me so I can get the coords and log it.

This is probably a good time to re-state this, or make the offer to newer people. If you are an established 'cacher, and contact me with a verifiable e-mail address, I have no problem doing the same for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: