MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WeekNIGHT Caching: Tuesday, March 8th, 2005; 7:30pm
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: WeekNIGHT Caching: Tuesday, March 8th, 2005; 7:30pm Reply with quote

7:30pm. Park at N44 49.098' W093 23.493'

1. GCMXE5 Baker's Dozen - Echo Location - N44 49.121' W093 23.536'

2. GCMX66 Baker's Dozen - Don't Fall In - N44 49.352' W093 25.578'

3. GCMX67 Baker's Dozen - Creekwood - N44 50.003' W093 25.883'

4. Green Mill - Eden Prairie - N44 51.243' W093 26.006'

Last edited by s4xton on Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be there, of course, but we do ask that if you plan on attending that you let us know that way we will wait for you...

We frequently have problems w/people not letting us know they are coming and then showing up in the middle of things.

If you just lurk on the forums you can always email one of us to let us know.

Smile
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will go to Creekwood. And watch the others. But not Don't Fall In. Thats nasty, even more so at night. 250' and takes you 15 minutes one-way when you can see. I'll wait at the top, thank you.
Paklid
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that picking your way through the brush to get to the cache location at "Don't Fall In" at night might be a challenge.

Here's some parking info:

"Echo Location" parking is the same place as what was used for "Just Plain Mean".
It's at N44 49.098, W93 23.493 (Zinran Avenue, I think).
It can probably hold 5 or 6 cars without causing much of a neighborhood stir.

"Don't Fall In" has parking at N44 49.383, W93 25.570. It is at the end of a cul-de-sac on Wild Heron (court?).
There is little public land at the parking area, but some does exist on the south side of the cul-de-sac at the parking coordinates given here.
I don't know if more than three cars parked there would be very reasonable for this neighborhood though.
The path that descends to the creek from the parking coordinates appears (by my Keyhole pictures) to cross the creek and emerge on the other side at Homeward Hills Road. I didn't personally scout this approach, though. If the trail does indeed break out there (and I think it does) it appears to do so at these coordinates: N44 49.441, W93 25.743.
The good news about this is that there is a public park with a large parking lot on the west side of Homeward Hills road just a half block south of the trail break out coordinates. So, if more than just a few cars are heading to this cache, you should probably try the approach from the west and use the large lot. Carpooling would also be a good idea from that larger lot to the upper (closer to the cache site and smaller capacity) parking area. If you do this cache at night my guess is that you'll have some scratches on your face the next morning.

"Creekwood" parking is at N44 50.115, W93 25.970 on Sunnybrook Road. You should be able to park quite a few cars here without bothering anybody.
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I came from West side on Don't Fall In. There is plenty of parking.
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Paklid. I updated the parent post.

-Aaron
jambro
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I'll be there - count on me unless something comes up at work, then I'll post again to cancel. Looking forward to it...
drat19
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope to make it, as ever. Depends on my workday. Will call Silent Bob tomorrow evening in either case before the meeting time (whether I will be there or not) so y'all know whether or not to wait for me.

-Dave R.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WeekNIGHT Caching > American Idol!
drat19
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
WeekNIGHT Caching > American Idol!

Yeah, actually I agree. So far I haven't been thrilled with the contestants this season. I even missed it tonight (dinner with a co-worker).

I'll be there for night caching if I don't have to work late...I've missed you guys the last few weeks.

-Dave R.
jambro
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been informed that mrs j will be accompanying me tomorrow night, I think she just wants to go for the cocktails afterwards! See you all there...
5savages
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Can someone fill me in? Reply with quote

Hi, newbie here. I just started geocaching a month ago after my family gave me a GPS for my birthday. Great fun! The kids love it, my wife enjoys it, and I love it.

I see there are often weeknight GC's and I'm wondering how these are structured. Is it a race to see who logs them all first, is it a casual event, does everyone go in one big mass of people, any social activities afterwards? I'm interested in going to one some night.

Pat
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

The WeekNIGHT caching events here are very laid back and generally loosely structured. The order of events you see at the top is generally it. Everyone is welcome. It's generally been a 21+ crowd, but there isn't any strong reason why younger people can't come.

Sometimes, people don't admit to finding it when they find it, so other people can experience the hunt the same way. Doesn't always happen that way, but that's about it. No competition, no race. Everyone has good and bad luck, and it's great when the noobies find it and watch the people that have found over 500 caches get frustrated.

After a couple caches, it's generally off to a place for a drink or two. Nothing serious. Tomorrow it's Green Mill in Eden Prairie.

The three caches this time might be a bit difficult, from what I've read.

Bring a flashlight or a headlamp. It makes a huge difference.

Post in the thread if you're interested in coming out! Hope you can make it!

-Aaron
5savages
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! I can't make it tomorrow, but I'll definitely make it to a future one. I probably woudln't bring the family for a weeknight cache since I'd just work late and go from there. I might bring a friend of mine along though. I nudged him into geocaching shortly after we made our first find.

So far, the coolest thing about geocaching that I've seen is that my kids get out hiking but are so distracted by the "treasure hunt" that they dont' realize how far they're hiking and they don't tell me that they're tired. With a 3 year old in tow who likes to explore every stick, every rock, and every tree we don't move fast, but when you're out experiencing life, who cares.

Pat
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
With a 3 year old in tow who likes to explore every stick, every rock, and every tree we don't move fast, but when you're out experiencing life, who cares.

Welcome Pat !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: