MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2nd Annual geo 101

View previous topic :: View next topic  
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: 2nd Annual geo 101 Reply with quote

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=606a596b-4cee-4b4f-90ec-d03191b8dc43
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it got approved KB. Looking forward to it on my return.

BTW I'm off to the great southwest for a week, so see ya all later.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way we can get the word out a little better the just by "word of mouth."

Maybe we can get a quick flyer together. Make it into a .pdf and post it on line. Then all of us can print it up and post it around our local areas. Places like sporting good stores, coffee shops, or local hang outs that allow public postings. It might gererate a few more participants.

Anyway, I'm going to try and be there. Let me know if you need some additional help. I've got a couple of spare GPSrs, I can loan to the cause (a 3 and a V).

Maybe Sui G can loan a couple of his more non-Traditional cache containers.

KB let me know (pm or e-mail) if I can help.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year's event:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=16e7d42d-13ef-4eba-962f-b9d76786639a&log=y&decrypt=

Last year was "free-form", not really an organized program. It was a cold, windy day, and was a month later than this year's event. I scheduled it on March 6th, because a bunch of medallion hunters have an "event" later in the day, and I thought I could give them something to do prior to that. I think it will work out very well.

Last year three "new" people showed up: Buzzygirl, Diggin'4_it, and THX1138. They left the event and purchased a GPSr. I think the "show and tell" worked.

Anyway, I think this year will be the same. We may wake up on March 6th to 6" of snow, so I don't want some type of schedule that we feel obligated to follow. So my plan is this:

I have 5 hours allotted. That is way too long for a program. If someone shows up at 2:00 pm, I'd like that person to feel welcome. I will be helping my Winter Carnival friends who attend, and it would be cool to have people available to help others.

I plan to bring an assortment of cache containers for demonstration. There will be at least a couple temporary caches at the park, and hopefully, three new ones.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've been alerted that I may be heading to Latvia on the 4th. If I don't go I'll plan on supporting the event. I won't know until the 3rd whether I'm going or not.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.startribune.com/dynamic/story.php?template=print_a&story=5272481

Bring your camera !

Around St. Paul: Bird's-eye view on the riverfront
Joe Kimball
Star Tribune
Published March 4, 2005

More bald eagles are roosting on the Mississippi River near downtown St. Paul than river folks can ever recall.

Houseboat resident Anne Hunt saw a dozen perched early Wednesday in the area between the dock for the Padelford excursion boats and the University of Minnesota's Centennial Showboat. In other years, the most she has seen was five or six at a time.

Eagle watchers often head farther south on the river to Wabasha or Winona to see convocations of the big birds during their migration. The increasing number in St. Paul highlights the river's improving health, Hunt said.

Jim Kosmo of the Padelford fleet saw 11 eagles perched in a cottonwood tree near his office one day, and then 14 in the area the next. "Madeline, the office cat, is afraid to go outside" he said.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just down there the other day....

I counted 6.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was just down there the other day....

Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil trying to get FTF on the temps ?? Smile Very Happy
whatsagps
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the Eagles.....I stopped down there the other day and noticed 8 huge birds in a cotton wood tree....drove closer...all eagles...in all I think I saw about 12 that day...most I've ever seen in the same area.
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was three hours late since I was busy not finding caches down in Eagan trying to make my next milestone, but it looks like it was a great event, and a good time was had by all. I got to visit with KB and team Zoejam, and got to see KCOGRN, mucluck, merkong, and Good-boy briefly. I also got to see the largest TB I've ever seen. Hopefully next year I won't be so close to a milestone and be able to attend the whole thing.
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope everyone had fun at geo 101. I intended to go, but was waylaid at the last minute by a youth group function of my son's that requested chaperones at the last minute. It certainly was a lovely day for the geo 101 event!
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to see everybody out there. Sorry ya couldn't make it Buzzygirl, was great weather out, but you might be glad you missed out on all the mud on the trails.
mucluck
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry you couldn't make it Buzzy....it was a wonderful day...pay no attention to KC0GRN he should have worn boots!!

I don't think the event could have been much better the weather was spectacular, a nice turn out of both new and experienced cachers. Everyone chipped in to help, some spent the whole day others dropped by to say Hi and offer support.

Lot's of learning happening, I over heard or participated in discussions of, cache size, types, puzzle caches, how to enter waypoints, how to log caches, and how to log travel bugs. In addition to that myself and I belive everyone who attended met someone new....and now can put a face to the name read in logs.

Ian, Thank You!!!
JT
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wished I could have attended. Crying or Very sad It was my intent, but I got stuck playing "Daddy day care" and my youngest was feeling a little under the weather.

Sounds like everyone had a good time and lots of learning was going on.
Glad to see the weather cooperated as well.

Thanks Ian for setting this one up!!!!

-JT

Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: