MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about waypoint projection
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Question about waypoint projection Reply with quote

Iíve never owned a GPS receiver that has mapping capabilities before, so pardon if this seems a somewhat ignorant question. I noticed that there is a new cache listed that is located pretty far away from its pseudo-coordinates. I have the real coordinates from solving a puzzle, but I cannot tell where the real coordinates will put me. Will the more-advanced GPSrs have the ability to project any waypoint that you enter and show it on a map?

I assume that's what is meant by "waypoint projection", but since I donít know their capabilities, I thought I should ask before I go and order one. I have a couple in mind: Garmin GPS Map 60C and the Magellan SporTrak Color. Will these do the trick?
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waypoint projection is a little different than what you are describing. Some multi-caches require projection. You go to the first stage and there you find, instead of a second set of coordinates, a bearing (direction) and distance (for instance 200 meters at 165 dgrees). You then use your GPS or computer software to "project" the original waypoint to the new location. The Garmin 60C will certainly do this, I don't know about the Magellan.

For normal puzzle caches, you simply ignore the posted coordinates and enter the actual coordinates you got from solving the puzzle directly into your unit.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the manual: http://www.magellangps.com/assets/manuals/newprod/SporTrakColor_English.pdf the SportTrak Color does support waypoint projection.

You might want to talk to Good-Boy about Magellan color units (I am not sure if this is the one he had or if he had another color Magellan) but he had to have it replaced three times (he paid for two of the replacements) because the unit would shut off and not turn back on.

He switched to a Garmin 76CS and hasn't reported any problems since.
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind, while the units will probably come with a base map installed, if you want any details such as park names, etc. You will want to invest in maps as well. The maps load into the unit and provide street level information. A must if you go with the 60C (highly recommended), as you really need the maps for autorouting.
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:
For normal puzzle caches, you simply ignore the posted coordinates and enter the actual coordinates you got from solving the puzzle directly into your unit.

Yeah-- got that so far-- but I guess what I'm asking is, if I put in those coordinates, can I see its approximate location on one of the built-in maps?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzzygirl wrote:
Moe the Sleaze wrote:

Yeah-- got that so far-- but I guess what I'm asking is, if I put in those coordinates, can I see its approximate location on one of the built-in maps?

Use aerial photos or something. Try entering the coordinates on a utility like http://www.lazylightning.org/imagery/ that would show you where they are.
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks-- I'll do a bit more research on the mapping units as well. Maybe I'll hold off on buying one for now.
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sui generis wrote:
Keep in mind, while the units will probably come with a base map installed, if you want any details such as park names, etc. You will want to invest in maps as well. The maps load into the unit and provide street level information. A must if you go with the 60C (highly recommended), as you really need the maps for autorouting.

Ah, that is what I'm looking for-- street-level maps and even park names would be nice. I think the 60C is looking better and better.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzzygirl wrote:
Ah, that is what I'm looking for-- street-level maps and even park names would be nice. I think the 60C is looking better and better.

While I have never used a magellan unit I would assume that they would offer the same sort of information on their maps as well. The mapping GPS wouldn't be very useful otherwise.
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will still look into the Magellans that do mapping. I love my little Explorist 100, but it has no mapping capability. I really didn't see the value in that feature until now.

Lots of people seem to like the Garmin 60C and the 76CSs. They're pricey, but I'll soon have about $500 to play around with.

I see that Magellan's coming out with the next round of their Explorist series- the 400, 500 and 600. These appear to have advanced features, and of course come with a computer interface, which the series 100-300 lacks.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up my 76CS for $428 from Amazon.com. It didn't come w/the maps but I had those already. $500 is pricey but auto-routing sure is nice Smile
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when you say, it didn't come with the maps, do you mean mapping software that you upload to the GPSr? Does this GPSr come with a USB cable too?

Shoppin' around for GPS stuff is fun... Smile
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzzygirl wrote:
Does this GPSr come with a USB cable too?

Yes.

Keep in mind that you will be able to get anyy unit for considerably less than list price by shopping around on the internet.
tomslusher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are thinking about the Magellan I would recommend the Meridan over the Sporttrek as it allows the use of secure digital cards so it makes it's memory virtually unlimited. I don't think it is a whole lot more than the Sporttrek models.

I use a Magellan and I love it. I have had no problems except when I ran it through the wash machine and even then Magellan fixed it for free.

tomslusher
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:
Buzzygirl wrote:
Does this GPSr come with a USB cable too?

Yes.

Keep in mind that you will be able to get anyy unit for considerably less than list price by shopping around on the internet.

Yep... I have noticed that amazon.com and eBay have some very good prices.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: