MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Night Only" caches

View previous topic :: View next topic  
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: "Night Only" caches Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone has found any caches listed as "Night Only".

I am thinking about placing a couple of these where you would be looking for reflective items once you get to the designated waypoint for the cache. You would have to follow these reflective objects to a location a distance from the waypoint to find the actual cache, or a container with a new waypoint to the final stage? I am just trying to find out if there are many of these type of caches out there.

If anyone knows of any can you link them to this topic?

Thanks,
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would someone be prevented from hunting this cache during the day?
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Darkness Falls... by Candy Apple Green

I haven't done it myself, but I hear it's a great cache and well worth visiting.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one in the works, and while it's no big secret, I'd rather not post my "inspiration"

Send me an e-mail
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My headlamp Hijinx is a night cache.
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
GPSr
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one in the planning stages too. I just bought the reflectors yesterday as a matter of fact. I'm trying to locate an area that will cause minimal damage from repeated traffic and eventually move the stages every so often. I talked to a cacher in Canada about this and he has one set up in his area. It also appears they aren't as concerned about damage to the trees or surrounding undergrowth as we are in the States. He used "nails" for mounting truck trailer reflectors to the trees. I told him that probably wouldn't go over well around here. I'll have to think some more about this I guess.....
fsu*noles
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argh, I know there's a "night-only" cache in Nebraska that uses reflective tacks stuck in trees and posts to guide you to the cache, but I can't remember the name...I'll drop a note to BluesHarp and if I can track it down I'll post it here.

In the meantime, I really enjoyed the aforementioned "When Darkness Falls" - nice use of black-lights and luminescent paint, I believe it's unique in Minnesota. Here's the picture I took there while finding one of the stages last year - highly recommended if you enjoy night caching!

-Ken

King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scary
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spinowner wrote:
How would someone be prevented from hunting this cache during the day?

Try hunting GCHGN6, the Dark Forest of Knowlton. I won't give away IBCrashen's secrets, but you can't find the cache (it's a multi) unless it's dark (or you're like EskoClimber and you saved the final coordinates after you found it in the dark the first time). People have tried (and failed).

This, BTW, is an excellent night cache. Good job IBCrashen!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The WGA campout has very creative dedicated night caches every year. Alien crash sites (with "glowing" blood), motion sensing hooting owls, and many other well executed ideas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: