MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pacemaker-like GPS device.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
berg0449
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 8:29 am    Post subject: Pacemaker-like GPS device. Reply with quote

General article pulled from slashdot.org
---------------
"Applied Digital Solutions has announced successful field trials of a prototype GPS device that can be implanted into humans. The device, which is internally rechargable, can wirelessly transmit location, movements and vital signs via the Internet, storing the info in a database. It's said to be the size of a pacemaker, but they intend to miniaturize it to one-tenth that size. You may recall this company as having designed the 'Digital Angel,' and 'Verichip,' a ricegrain-sized RFID chip like injectable pet tracking ID chips. This same company apparently made several denials in 2002 that their product(s) would be anything but externally worn. (like a wristwatch) Many other related links can be found at WorldNetDaily."
-----------------
For more information see http://adsx.com/news/2003/051303.html
or general article at http://slashdot.org/articles/03/05/16/0449249.shtml

----My comments----
I know this could have great medical reasons but this device could easily be abused in the wrong hands.
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody remember 1984? Twisted Evil
Looks like Orwell missed his mark by 20 years, eh?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink I already had one of those implanted during my last UFO abduction. Wink
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, the only problem with those devices is that they will have to be able to "see" through walls and cars and clothing before they will be effective on humans. It must be able to have some sort of radio capabilities as well.

Cool Hopefully when I get mine it will include a USB port, internet access and lots of accessories. I could hook my PDA into it and go -- I would never be late or lost again!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15Tango wrote:
Wink I already had one of those implanted during my last UFO abduction. Wink

Hope the probe was small!

Twisted Evil
SirPoonga
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Centris"]You know, the only problem with those devices is that they will have to be able to "see" through walls and cars and clothing before they will be effective on humans. It must be able to have some sort of radio capabilities as well.[quote]

Actually, it wouldn't have to. A family in europe tried this out. The chip gets emplanted JUST under the skin. It doesn't have to work in buildings, just to the general area. even then they could incorporate cell phone type technology to fine tune it even more in the future.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: