MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Winter Friendly ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paklid
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: Winter Friendly ? Reply with quote

I recently placed a cache which I felt was "Winter Friendly" only to be mocked by a couple of coworkers who felt that "Winter Friendly" means "cache is at an elevation greater than waist high". Don't get me wrong, I'm used to being mocked for a multitude of reasons, but I didn't think my assumption on the meaning of "Winter Friendly" would be one of them.

What I've always assumed is that a Winter Friendly cache is one in which the container or it's camo can be spotted whether there is no snow or heavy snow in the area.

I acknowledge the effects of snow and ice on terrain ratings, but I presume a winter friendly cache is one that is findable even with snow.

Any other thoughts on this?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter Friendly ? Reply with quote

Paklid wrote:
What I've always assumed is that a Winter Friendly cache is one in which the container or it's camo can be spotted whether there is no snow or heavy snow in the area.

I acknowledge the effects of snow and ice on terrain ratings, but I presume a winter friendly cache is one that is findable even with snow.

Personally I take it to mean the height of the cache hide itself (and use this assumption with great success on 99% of caches marked in that manner).

The terrain ratings are independent of the hide being winter friendly IMHO. Just because you have to climb up a 57 foot tall snow covered tree in the dead of winter doesn't mean it isn't winter-friendly.

YMMV.
Rouster
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found the cache in question and I think it's borderline. Though it's not at knee level, it's somewhat protected. It's a tough find, snow or not. Heavy snow with a wind may increase the difficulty level.

The terrain? Well...
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I always thought that if it is high enough not to be covered with the ground cover of snow, then it is winter friendly. Your definition seems to agree with that. Is it high enough to be considered "winter friendly"? I guess we'll find out in January.
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Sui, we may or may not find out in January depending on Mother Nature. Who is being quite fickeled this year.

I've always assumed that "Winter Friendly" ment that it was accessable in winter, that the hide location was visible even with the snow on the ground. I can thing of one of Silent Bob's caches that I consider winter friendly yet the container is probably no more then a foot off the ground. However, the access to the cache is several feet higher, thus the cache is still accessable even with a heavy snow fall.

So I think that everyone here is right. At least when it's marked "Winter Friendly" we can assume that the cache can be found even with the snow on the ground. There are other caches around that we all know are either buried right up to ground level or use some clever method of hiding that given a few inches of snow would require the finder to root around quite a bit. Seems I recall a few picture of Silent Bob and S4xton last winter covered in snow after a while of digging.

Cache On. Oh and Happy Holidays to All
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pogopod
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started caching in January two years ago. The above scene was often repeated during the first couple of months. I kind of like it. This is about the challenge, right?
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I kind of like it. This is about the challenge, right?

...Then you will LOVE my caches.
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one am glad that most of the snow is melting... While I did do much caching this past weekend (DNF'd Paklid's Just Plain MEAN cache because of snow -- I hope Wink) I did have a disappointing run with s4xton the weekend before due to the fresh snowfall.

Is this going to make us worse for wear though? Does anyone think that digging through the snow hones our searching skills for when we don't have any?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we got somewhere around 45" of snow IN JANUARY in Duluth.. Kind of puts a damper on caching...Yet EskoClimber (among a couple of others) has placed about 5 new caches. If he can place them in the snow, you must be able to find them in the snow, right?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
northtrekker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a great photo - digging in the snow for a cache!
We do have heaps of snow up north. The caching bug is
still with me, but I haven't been able to get out there. I have a
friend who just got a GPS for Christmas and has been caching
since - he's digging through snow and ice finding caches. Which
does make me laugh, because he has found a couple that
I couldn't find, when there was no snow cover at all. At this
point I'd feel a pretty big victory if'n I could find one of Esko's
new winter crypto caches or Hooligan's Fred & Barney Sequel!
Wink

ntrek
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NTrek wrote:
At this point I'd feel a pretty big victory if'n I could find one of Esko's new winter crypto caches

When I solved one of them (I forget which one) he told me that I "may" want to bring along a set of snowshoes.

Unfortunately I just haven't had the time to search for anything, despite REALLY having the bug to do so. I'm hoping to check up on a couple of my winter accessible caches this weekend and hopefully place another. We'll see how that goes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

winter + friendly

I don't think those words go together.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: