MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MOGA Planning

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: MOGA Planning Reply with quote

Iíve started this as a new thread to try and keep a serious discussion for planning to get to the MOGA this year. I want to say thanks to Silent Bob for already getting a jump on this by planning the Punch Out event. The logistics of us getting there can be very simple buy just playing it by ear the whole way. Or we can make some plans. Iím more inclined for the second and have therefore started some initial planning to plot routes to the park.

But beyond that Iíve not done anything yet. The question of gear, comms, transportation, food, drink and such will IMO need to be address. I know that SB has already got campsites reserved so thatís covered. Iím not trying to be pushy, but for those that know me itís just my nature to plan.

Below are three choices for routes that Iím looking at so far. There are a couple of questions that still need to be resolved.

Departure Time: What time do we want to head out of town? My plot distances below are from Apple Valley.

Caches: Do we want to cache down and back? Do a minimum of one in each state or more? Use different route down and back so as to have alternate cache options?

Communications connectivity: I want to try and find out where the T-Mobile coverage areas are so that those with SideKicks can have maximum coverage, assuming that it makes a difference to them.

Your thoughts please!

Routes:

Shortest route is 556 miles but will also take the longest time (10.5 hrs) due to the route (primarily state highways). 52 South to Rochester, then 63 South to Waterloo. From then we take 380 South to Iowa City, then 218 South to Alexandria where it turns into 61 South. Continue South on 61 to Interstate 44 South to the park.

Quickest route is 675 miles and takes 9.5 hrs. 35 South to Mason City, then state/county roads over to Waterloo where it links up with 380 South, then to 80 East, 74 East to 155 South through Springfield to Saint Louis. Then down 44 South to the park.

Most Interstate route is 691 miles and takes 9.6 hrs. 35 South to Kansas City then 70 East towards Saint Louis then cross over to 44 South to the park.

Iím starting to pull the caches along each route to see what is available. Iíll have that analysis by the end of this week. If someone has an alternate route in mind let me know and Iíll plot the caches along it as well. Eventually, Iíll have all the routes plotted and will be able to provide everyone a .gpx with the route and caches.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that we have had some humor about caching uniforms on the thread. But I was thinking that it would at least be nice to have a team T-Shirt or Sweatshirt for the event. I know that we have the MnGCA Logowear on Cafť Press ( http://www.cafepress.com/MNGCA¨ ). Maybe the baseball jersey with our names across the back? ( http://www.cafepress.com/mngca.15369747 ). Unfortunately, they are white and will probably show the dirt pretty badly after the first day there.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will all get together two weeks prior to the event and hash out all the details. As far as going down... tmobile coverage is in and out and really is of no consequence. As long as there are caches to do we are good.

Last year we left around 5am (because someone overslept) and we arrived around 9:30pm. This year it was my understanding that we are going to add an extra day to travel down so that we can have a more comfortable time caching.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I thought I heard it said that we planned on leaving on Thursday and returning on Monday.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camping arrangements:

I have already reserved two campsites which allow for a total of four tents and twelve people total.

I need to know who is interested in camping so that I can start dividing the available space up. The people that went last year that are going again (Moe, JT, and towlebooth) have first dibs. After that it's going to be a random drawing for the spots.

I need to know how many people from here are going... Currently we seem to have:

Silent Bob, Towlebooth, JT, Moe the Sleaze (possibly), s4xton, Arcticabn, Team Hooligan, 15Tango, Onied Cooky, mucluck, and diggin4it

So please let me know if you are interested in camping and we will go from there.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in for camping. Plan on sending in my reg to the MOGA next week. I'm up for both individual and team caching.
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Team Hooligan talked to me about both a ride and camping. Please reserve space for him.
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in for camping.
JT
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
Camping arrangements:

I have already reserved two campsites which allow for a total of four tents and twelve people total.

I need to know who is interested in camping so that I can start dividing the available space up. The people that went last year that are going again (Moe, JT, and towlebooth) have first dibs. After that it's going to be a random drawing for the spots.

I need to know how many people from here are going... Currently we seem to have:

Silent Bob, Towlebooth, JT, Moe the Sleaze (possibly), s4xton, Arcticabn, Team Hooligan, 15Tango, Onied Cooky, mucluck, and diggin4it

So please let me know if you are interested in camping and we will go from there.

I am in. JT
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in...I'll figure out a way to make it work....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: