MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Laptop & Palm Pilot Equipped...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you Adventure?
With Updated Technology?
53%
 53%  [ 14 ]
With Old Technology?
19%
 19%  [ 5 ]
With No Technology?
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
What's Technology?
15%
 15%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 26

jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:07 am    Post subject: Laptop & Palm Pilot Equipped... Reply with quote

I recently purchased a Gateway Centrino Laptop. Along with my Sony Clie` Palm Pilot, and some excellent software I've found new meaning to the book I read, "In the Wild in a Wired Age"... (In the true story, two men are airlifted to the Horton River in Northern Canada. They spend two weeks paddling down the river. One brings a SAT Phone, GPS, and Palm Pilot - the other brings a paper map & a good sense of adventure!) Technology is certainly amazing, especially with the right software! I also treated myself to the newest Microsoft Streets & Trips with the GPS locator module which plugs into the USB Port. This is really neato stuff! I seem to find two things. #1 - When it comes right down to it, I still use my good ole Magellan for the last mile or so right to the dirt. #2 - Sometimes,,, I gotta just shut all the crap off, pack it in the tent, heat some apple cider, and stare in amazement at a flickering campfire... Cool
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
stare in amazement at a flickering campfire...

hypnotizing ...
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One brings a SAT Phone

Hmmm...is this updated or outdated?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cache with my hiptop, my GPS, some old tennis shoes (usually), and a LED flashlight... Personally I have found that the technology has made me lazy. Most of the time I don't even have my GPS loaded with waypoints. I'm either fumbling around adding them while I am driving (try loading the cache pages and the waypoint information while driving -- it's a trip Wink) or I am just following someone else in the group and their limited directions about where the cache may be.

The past couple of trips I have been prepared using Streets and Trips to optimize a route, print a list of the caches in order for me, and tell me how many caches there are in a given loop of X miles. I convert the text list into a HTML file of the caches so that I can easily load the cache pages on my hiptop. I determine if a particular loop is too large/small for the number of caches we are doing and then I resize/change depending on that.

It's not a bad deal overall if you have GPRS service and Streets and Trips. Having someone else with autorouting so you don't have to print turn by turn directions or follow the arrow on the GPS is really nice Smile Smile Smile

Thanks Moe Smile
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually go caching with as little technology along as possible. I use a Magellan eXplorist GPSr, which has no computer interface; I input waypoints by hand. This works OK for me because I usually do just a few at a time. If I were as active as some cachers, I'd absolutely need a GPSr with a computer interface.

I just picked up a cell phone about a month ago, mostly because my son and boyfriend implored me to have one while I'm out caching or on the road, in case of emergencies. I've been very resistant to getting a cell phone, mostly because I just haven't needed one and certainly don't need the expense. I ended up with a T-Mobile "Go" phone, which is a pay-as-you-go, no lengthy contracts required option.

I have an old Palm Pilot VIIx, which I do not use for caching at all.

I'm no luddite-- I love cool gadgetry as much as the next cacher-- I just have to be careful to not buy stuff where I cannot justify the initial purchase price or upkeep costs.
RINO SHAWN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!!! This sport/ hobby/ illness/? is addicting!! The more I learn, the more technology I crave!!

1st GPS
2nd Digital Camera
3rd New Picture/Video cell phone with bluetooth
4th Palm Pilot with bluetooth so my phone can link to it.....Also with Camera/Video
5th After learning about Geocache Swiss Army Knife...Setting up my Palm to have all MN caches "paperless"...I am now so impressed with that program that I want to have a laptop with the same setup as my desktop.....and an extra cable for my GPS so I can load waypoints while in my vehicle........which wants me to purchase an AC power invertor for my vehicle........

What next????? Pretty soon I will want to own my own set of satellites to send into space to give me a stronger signal. Wink
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the big problem with geocaching.

Too many toys and too little money. Geocaching is the main reason I take so many pictures, why I have a photo gallery on my website like I do, why I have wireless Internet, why I put 1500 miles on my car a month, and why I just bought a color GPS with autorouting when I just bought a "new" GPS 6 months ago.

It's also the reason that I enjoy being outside as much as I do.

Stupid Geocaching... Making me go outside instead of staying warm inside w/all my toys!
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
Stupid Geocaching... Making me go outside instead of staying warm inside w/all my toys!

So you take your toys outside and lose them! Wink
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just helping you hone your caching skills! Yeah, that's it!
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some people get lost if they don't leave a trail of items to find their way back to the car. It is kind of a primitive autorouting.
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
RINO SHAWN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RINO SHAWN WROTE:

Quote:
1st GPS
2nd Digital Camera
3rd New Picture/Video cell phone with bluetooth
4th Palm Pilot with bluetooth so my phone can link to it.....Also with Camera/Video
5th After learning about Geocache Swiss Army Knife...Setting up my Palm to have all MN caches "paperless"...I am now so impressed with that program that I want to have a laptop with the same setup as my desktop.....and an extra cable for my GPS so I can load waypoints while in my vehicle........which wants me to purchase an AC power invertor for my vehicle........

What next????? Pretty soon I will want to own my own set of satellites to send into space to give me a stronger signal. Wink

OK...OK...... Since I hadn't purchased anything new for at least a couple of weeks...I decided to add a couple of "toys":

I have "Streets and Maps" loaded on Palm (and desktop)
I purchased a Toshiba Laptop
Bought power invertor for cachemobile
bought USB to Serial port adapter for laptop
bought USB /Bluetooth chip for laptop

Spent some time (alot of it) setting things up... Bluetooth chip is cooooool!!
I did a totally wireless Hot Sync to my Palm, sent a picture from my cell phone directly to my computer, set up my laptop to use my phone as a modem (still need the additional service from Cingular).

The only thing that I see as a drawback so far with the Bluetooth....Is if you are doing a LARGE file transfer.(like when I sent the whole state of MN info from pocket queries ...after GSAK exported to Sunrize and I did a Hot Sync thru Bluetooth) The rate at which Bluetooth transfer and sends data is much slower than if you were hooked up with a cable. (took about 7 or 8 minutes to transfer what usually I could do in about 5 minutes)

PS: Geowife informed me that I am DONE buying "gadgets" for awhile! Sad
RINO SHAWN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
PS: Geowife informed me that I am DONE buying "gadgets" for awhile! Sad

Actually I think she said "a COUPLE whiles!" Crying or Very sad
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't done much geocaching lately, but as far as technology goes, I've found some great uses for my laptop! I spent some time traveling down from MN to AZ, and ran my laptop the whole darn way. I'm sure having it running for so long was not good for it, especially with all the bumps and such. Oh well. I tracked my trip down with Microsoft Streets and Trips, and it was a blast! I then loaded all the photos and such from each day of my journey onto my website so my friends and family could keep up with my journey! I just set my wireless to auto-pickup signals wherever I go. As I drove through Boulder, Colorado, at one point, I had like 36 unsecure wireless connections to select from! Hey, I wouldn't go running bank numbers and such unsecure, but for the website, who cares!

www.swissperpetual.com/jddpj7.html

P.S. - My GeoFiance` is in Costa Rica right now student teaching, and has little say over my Geoneeds... (unfortunately,, I have no Geomoney to spend... Crying or Very sad )
RINO SHAWN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just set my wireless to auto-pickup signals wherever I go. As I drove through Boulder, Colorado, at one point, I had like 36 unsecure wireless connections to select from!

I am considering going with some form of wireless connection for my laptop

I know very little about it at this point...I understand that the hardware would plug in to the side of my laptop in that little expansion slot thingy.....

But than what???? I need to buy the internet service plan to make it work?? Who would be good to go through?? Would I get the best deal if I check with my current cell phone service provider??(Cingular)
If I have the hardware but no plan....could I still just scan for a signal as I travel and "borrow" a signal to gain internet access?
Is this form of wireless connection a "fast" speed? or more like a basic modem speed?

As you can see......I have more questions than answers Wink
miles58
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Wireless connection Reply with quote

Shawn,

Write down all your important questions. Tomorrow ask them and I will answer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: