MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Takes a licking, and keeps on... pointing!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Takes a licking, and keeps on... pointing! Reply with quote

I had a wee "mishap" yesterday with my Magellan Explorist.

I attended the Winter Carnival ReHash Bash yesterday at Crosby Lake Park. It was chilly out, so we had a nice wood fire going to keep warm.

After I got home, in my haste to rid myself of my smoke-scented jacket, I tossed it in the laundry, not even bothering to check my coat pockets. I had forgotten that my GPSr was inside one of the pockets.

After I got the laundry out of the dryer, I realized to my dismay that the GPSr had gone through both a long wash and dry cycle. I took it out of its case. I tossed the batteries. I removed a couple of small screws to get at its innards. The small circuit board and the LCD screen were moist. I used a hair dryer on the low/cool setting to dry things out inside.

After I let it sit awhile, I looked around inside with a magnifying glass to ensure it was totally dry. I popped the batteries back in and turned it on. I didn't expect it to work, but voila! It powered right up. I then took it outdoors to check on the antenna. I got a signal lock in the usual amount of time. It tracks well, marks well, and seems no worse for the wash.

So have any of you ever had a "GPSr mishap" where your GPSr ended up in the drink, crushed by rocks, dropped from a great height, etc., and you found out (much to your amazement) that it still worked?
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has fallen from oabout 4 feet with 200 pounds landing on it shortly thereafter on several occasions.
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sui generis wrote:
Mine has fallen from oabout 4 feet with 200 pounds landing on it shortly thereafter on several occasions.

You have fallen before while holding a GPS? I would have never guessed.
pogopod
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went out to find Movin 123 on a rock in the middle of a river in Hasings one day. Had to remove some clothing to wade out to the rock. got back to the car and discovered I had lost my trusty etrex. Went back to the spot and found it floating in the river behind a rock. It had been there for at least 20 minutes. Popped the batteries and put it on the dashboard with the defroster blowing on it. Got home, batteries in, powered up. Other that being a bit cleaner than when I kicked it into the river, you would never know anything happened.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sui generis wrote:

Ditto for this. Only the rocks were wet and I slipped ad the GPS went flying. Banged my knee on a rock and said a few choice words. Went to find the gps and couldn't even find a scratch in it. It did however shot off. I just turned it back on and it was fine.

It's all kitch's fault!!
Wayfarin Stranger
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not my GPS receiver, but a couple years ago in January I dropped my cell phone while getting into my tractor (front part of 18 wheeler... Very Happy ) and left the parking spot. About 10 min. later, I found I didn't have it and went searching. To my dismay, I found it in the truck tire track I left when leaving the spot. The LCD was black and never did work after that and the housing was a bit flatter, but the thing worked! Used it for another couple of months till I got tired of calling different people till I got the right number.
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Most cell phones don't look sturdy enough to survive a 3 foot drop, let alone an 18 wheeler runover!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: