MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

February 2005 COTM Open Forum

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: February 2005 COTM Open Forum Reply with quote

Ok I'm voting for the only one I've been to. The Get Sauced Event. I've only made 2 of those. Would like to get to more, but you will keep having them on the wrong end of the cities. There are so many nice places on the west side, Plymouth area. HINT HINT!! Rolling Eyes Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel free to post pictures, comments, and discussion about the February COTM here Smile
pogopod
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have thought about this COTM thing for a while. Wisconsin seems to do a nice job of it but they too have the same problem that we have. Many people have not been to the caches that are nominated. I look at the two we have nominated this month and really should not even vote. I have been to the one I nominated but not the other one.

There are three you say? That leads to the second problem. Is a drinking party a cache or something else? Should there be a competition for best party held in a bar after or before caching? How about best breakfast buddies location. Why not? Lots of folks had a great time.

I think if you want to do a COTM, you should decide what you are looking for. the old system of doing a nice write-up of a cache each month was quite nice. I have a list of those caches and try to get to them if I can. Perhaps a "best cache to find with kids" one month and the next month take nominations for the "cache with the best view", or "cache with the toughest climb". Then those that have an interest in such a cache might be inclined to try to visit it or them. Lord knows it is getting hard to sift through the tons of urban micros (mine included) to find something that is a little different.

At the end of this month you will have learned that people like to have a party, and that's great. I like a party too. Maybe next month we could have a list of the caches with the longest hike or caches with some other special trait that makes them interesting.

Just my $.02 worth.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pogopod wrote:
At the end of this month you will have learned that people like to have a party, and that's great. I like a party too. Maybe next month we could have a list of the caches with the longest hike or caches with some other special trait that makes them interesting.

Well, to each his own. Some people like urban micros and despise long hikes in the woods to find a box full of McToys and moldy books. Some people like a clever hide that you wouldn't find elsewhere and some just want numbers.

What makes the submissions interesting is that you get a feel for what other people like and while one that is far superior might not win in a particular month at least it got the nod it probably deserved.
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Pogopod, at least you submitted one. It isn't exactly as if Silent Bob was inundated with suggestions this month. I just nominated the cache that I had the most fun at this month. And I didn't drink, so to call it a "drinking" party isn't entirely accurate. Wink
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may break some ranks, but I agree with pogopod. Get Sauced is an event. The other two are caches.

If there was a competition for Event of the Year, or Event of the History of Geocaching Events, I'd vote for Get Sauced, though.

I'll be researching the two caches listed and voting for one of them. I will continue to try to attend every Get Sauced event I can as well.

-Aaron
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sui generis wrote:
And I didn't drink, so to call it a "drinking" party isn't entirely accurate. Wink

Yeah, it's not 100% accurate, but maybe it's 95% accurate. Smile

Either way, to each their own. I had an off-forum chat with Silent Bob about this, and if you look at it from Groundspeak's point of view, it still counts as an Event Cache. It's a "cache," the same way that Virtual "caches" and Locationless "caches" are "caches." Some people don't consider them real caches/finds and some people consider them just as legitimate and in some cases a lot more fun than traditional or multi caches. To each their own. I don't consider Get Sauced to be CotM material, but I understand how some people would consider it the best candidate for CotM.

The vote will decide.

-Aaron
Dances With Beehives
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't drink either, but sure had a good time catching up with folks and meeting more.

It's not like these caches are running for president.

I would think that it would be an honor just to have your cache mentioned.

Perhaps we could have more categories.....but then we'd need a lot more nominations.....Silent Bob had to beg to get even one to run against the first one nominated.

It's just making it's comeback now.....maybe with more caches nominated, we could sprout new categories.
pogopod
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silent Bob, we agree. There is a diversity of opinion on what makes a good cache. All I was attempting to say is instead of making each month a wide open "competition", Give a little bit of direction and change the direction every month. That way the micro lovers can tell where the great micros are and the woods nerds like me can point other like-minded souls to our favorites, people who are into French History can do their thing, and the folks who enjoy the group activities can also have their favorites.

There are 1753 caches on the cache list when I enter my zip code. Here is a chance for the leaders of the MNGCA to maybe point us to the ones we might enjoy the most.

Thanks.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be considering a "theme" for the upcoming months... I am happy to take suggestions for consideration.

Possible ones:

1. Best "urban" micro
2. Best night cache (regardless of original intention)
3. Best cache to do with a group (ie WeekNIGHT Caching)
4. Best hike
5. Best view
6. etc

Let me know what you would like to see. I will take all into consideration and if we get enough ideas we can mix it up and hopefully still cater to everyone throughout the state.
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily, I've happened to visit one of the two caches nominated, and that's where my vote went. IMHO, even if I haven't been to any of the nominated caches, I think that with the current system, there is plenty of time between when the nominations are posted and when voting closes to go visit some of those caches and thus make a decision based on more than just a good write-up. I've even planned a day of caching around a nominated cache, just so I can see what made someone else thrilled enough with the cache to spend the time to submit a nomination, and I haven't been disappointed yet.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: