MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Caretaker/Caregiver?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtn-man
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Caretaker/Caregiver? Reply with quote

This topic was posted today on the GC.com forums.

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=89709

Quote:
<snipped from the topic>
Hopefully, I will be allowed and encouraged to formulate the nations first Cache Caretaker and Caregiver mentoring program in Minnesota. Members will become either a Caretaker and/or a Caregiver. This will require a more formalized due diligence to geocache mentoring among the elite geocachers of this planet.

Since this person is using the MnGCA name, I figured you might be interested. The post has not been well received, and understandably so. I really don't like the "elite geocachers" comment I quoted above. I think many of us take care of caches anyway, and I don't need to be part of any group of "elite geocachers" to do that.

Another quote from the post I linked above:
Quote:
There will naturally have to be certain requirements to becoming a Caretaker and a Caregiver. For example they will have to be elected by a certain number of geocaching members.

Certain requirements? Elected? Wow! I have to be elected *and* adhere to certain requirements to put a pencil or a logbook in a cache? Rolling Eyes

Their profile page is rather interesting as well.
http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=332845
Quote:
Latest News:
Geocachecare will begin the first worldwide CacheCleanup Campaign in Minnesota. We welcome all responsible Minnesota geocachers who will serve as anonymous Cachetakers and Cachegivers. We are not spoilers, but highly principled toilers possessing high standards for environmentally safe and friendly geocaching.

Biography:
Friend and Foe of Geocachers

Hobbies:
Geocache Caretaker and Caregiver

Their email address links to this web page:
http://www.care2.com/

While the idea is noble (and *far* from a new concept), the elitist implimentation is rather odd. I am still going to carry pencils and logbooks to add to caches. I added pencils to a couple of caches today (some folks down here don't think about pens and freezing weather). I did not feel the need to be certified and/or elected by elitist geocachers to perform simple maintenance of fellow cacher's caches.

I just thought MnGCA might want to be aware of this.
tomslusher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It almost sounds like something EagleXplore would be involved in. Maybe????
Wayfarin Stranger
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When a geocacher tells me he/she is an "elite" treasure hunter, I will find something else to do to pass the time. And why would this person post to GC.com without consulting the MNGCA first?

cachecare, identify yourself...
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtn-man,

This is surely the work of EagleXplorer. He has come on the scene here about 2 weeks ago spouting off quite a bit with an attitude about how superior his ideas are and how great he is. To date he has been all mouth and no action.

I'm not speaking for the MnGCA board here but as a member. He does not speak for me and I am relatively sure that he doesn't speak for the members at large.

If he continues to use the MnGCA references in his posts on GC.com then I feel that it may be time to take more radical actions.

We are trying very hard to police our own. We sure don't need this type of inferences to the membership at large.

Thanks for the post.

Arctic
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto the EagleXplorer conection. It's writen in his/her agrogant style.

As the weather warms up and the mood takes me caching, I'll be carefull not to get caught adding a pencil, or repalcing a zippy bag. The maintainance union will be after me. Maybe I should e-mail this caretaking person and he/she will have 10 hours to perform the needed maintainence. I do hope he/she has lots of time and gas. There are a lot of caches for him/her to run to. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information, mtn-man.

Let's keep any assumptions about who this person is aside.

I replied to the Groundspeak forums on this topic:

Quote:
As a board member of the Minnesota Geocaching Association, I invite this individual to talk with us if he has any concerns about the quality, upkeep or legality of caches in the state of Minnesota. Even though we have no authority, we are interested in the general thoughts concerning the caches in the state. The MnGCA does not enforce rules or standards for caches in the state, but we help educate cachers about local, city, county and state regulations about caching.

As it was said above, the cache placer is also the caretaker and caregiver of the cache. If an individual has a problem with the care given to a particular cache, I suggest that person contact the cache owner, who is the de facto caretaker and caregiver.

We do not promote nor encourage individuals or other groups to trump this, and it is my belief that Groundspeak also takes this stance.

-Aaron
mtn-man
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It did seem like the same person to me too. I read all of these posts here before posting my topic. I just figured you all needed to see the topic in the forums.

My apologies regarding emails I have gotten. I am without power at this point and am posting from my laptops. I turn them on, hit the forums and then power them down to conserve battery power. I hope we get power tomorrow sometime soon. Ice storms are no fun.
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
January 30 by cachecare (0 found)
You are not helping your cause. I have also checked this birdhouse concealment container as have two others.
Sui generis..."The birdhouses I have seen are designed in such a way that they are really unuseable by birds. False backs...These are not really bird houses so much as cache containers designed to look like bird houses."

This is a REAL bird house. Because geocache.com has decide to delete our growing team's efforts to restore integrity to the best interest of this great sport we will no longer notify geocache.com or MnGCA of questionable caches that need to be archived and removed.

We (now at four) were more than willing to have an open forum, but geocache.com and MnGCA are more interested in looking out for their own best interests by placing the integrity of the gamepiece ahead of the integrity of the gameplace and safety of others.

Because MnGCA.org and Geocache.com is unwilling to work with us we will take necessary measures as Caregivers and Caretakers to maintain geocaching as a safe and sensible sport using good judgement. If this birdhouse cache concealment is still in place by April one of our team members will see that it is removed. We were more than willing to work with you, but you are uncooperative.
[view this log on a separate page]

I, for one, consider myself an enviromentallist, and I've been a Sierra Club Member for the last ten years, and I was also a Biology major in college, with plenty of classes in plant physiology--having visited this cache yesterday, I see absolutely nothing wrong with the cache placement. Taking the cache after April 1 can be considered theft, and I for one will support Herrwald if they decided to persue anything if the cache is stolen.
herrwald
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who would have thought that one little bad old putty cat could raise such a ruckus. I think Mr X/Caregiver must have missed his nap.

Thanks to everyone for the positive support.
jambro
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's missing a few other things if you get my drift, herrwald. Can't wait to check out your cache and see what all the excitement is about!
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLAME

v. tr.
To burn, ignite, or scorch (something) with a flame.
Informal. To insult or criticize provokingly, as on a computer network.
Obsolete. To excite; inflame

I see issues as to why this thread will be locked.....
I would highly suggest ALL users of MNGCA forum take a deep look at provokinging comments towards other users.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: