MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Silent Bob's Punch Out!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you planning on attending?
Yup, sure am!
81%
 81%  [ 9 ]
Nope, dog ate my homework...
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 11

Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Silent Bob's Punch Out! Reply with quote

In preparation for our trek to Meramec State Park in Sullivan, MO for the Midwest Open Geocaching Adventure 2005 in April, I will be working with several others to plan and place a 10 stage course through Three Rivers' Murphy-Hanrehan Park Reserve.

The 10 stages will be throughout the park and consist of an orienteering punch connected to a small card with the stage number listed. The stage number is provided so that you know which box to punch with your control. MOGA used a similar method last year and from what I understand they will be using it again this year as well. The only difference this year is that you will be given a list of waypoints when you start, along with a map, and told to find as many as you can as fast as you can. There is no particular order required but you will need to show proof of punches when you return. Waypoints will need to be manually entered and you will have only three minutes to begin entering them into your unit before your official time begins.

While we will be timing the event for those of you interested in knowing your time we will not be awarding any prizes or gifts other than a pat on the back. We will only post the times of those that permit us to do so.

As of January 1st, 2005 all parking fees are waived and a patron sticker is no longer required. Please see details here.

A map of the park is located here in PDF format.

Currently I am waiting for word back from Three Rivers about a special use permit that they asked we get before proceeding. If/when I get this straightened out with them I am planning to post the event to GC.com for 2/26/05.

The event will begin at 9am and end around 4:30/5 as I have to clear the punches out when we leave for the day. They asked for a preliminary number of possible participants and I told them 10-15 with no more than 20 but I would like to hear how many of your would be interested in joining us for a day in a beautiful park?

Last edited by Marsha and Silent Bob on Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:31 pm; edited 3 times in total
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse me for being ignorant but where is this located in relation to Hwy 7 coming into the cities from the west. Just trying to figure out how far it would be if I decided to show up. Also, do you have a waypoint that would get a person close?

Thanks,
Wayfarin Stranger
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the entrance is close to here Loneeagle.
N44 42.269 W93 19.453
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayfarin Stranger wrote:
I believe the entrance is close to here Loneeagle. N44 42.269 W93 19.453

Thanks WFS. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=1dc717d3-c69c-4e8d-9087-6faf11e9aa32

That's the cache page for KB's cache in that park. It's about 450 ft as the crow flies from a parking lot on the north side of the park...
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just spoke with Marlene from Three Rivers again and they asked that we stay off the groomed XC Ski trails (which I had of course intended on all along). This will limit us to the southren section of the park and the multi-use trail located there. That trail is 5+ mile loop which will be plenty big enough for our purposes. There's a parking lot off of Sunset Lake Ave. IIRC that is a large lot and should be plenty large enough for our purposes.

I hope to receive the permit today via fax and I will have the event posted ASAP.
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it should be fun--I feel like I've been hibernating so far this winter (doing nothing but sleeping, working, and watching football) so this will be a good way to rejoin the land of the living, if I don't do so before hand. It's been so long since I've gone caching, my cookies expired on the gc.com site!!! BTW, RE the KB cache--is it still the same cache in the same spot, or has it been moved, thus enabling us to find it and log it again?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15Tango wrote:
Looks like it should be fun--I feel like I've been hibernating so far this winter (doing nothing but sleeping, working, and watching football) so this will be a good way to rejoin the land of the living, if I don't do so before hand. It's been so long since I've gone caching, my cookies expired on the gc.com site!!! BTW, RE the KB cache--is it still the same cache in the same spot, or has it been moved, thus enabling us to find it and log it again?

I don't know about that but I do know it is in the north side of the park which is set aside for XC Skiing and thus inaccessable if the trails are groomed. There is a cache in the south side of the park called AVIATION 1 that will be available.

I am still waiting for the Permit from Three Rivers. I spoke to Marlene yesterday and she said to wait for that before I list the event on the site. I received the orienteering punches and punch cards yesterday so we are set on that. If I don't end up getting Three Rivers' permission I will make an alternate course at Lebanon Hills.

Good to see you back in action 15T Smile
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I will make an alternate course at Lebanon Hills

what about Spring Lake Park?
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sui generis wrote:
Quote:
I will make an alternate course at Lebanon Hills

what about Spring Lake Park?

Spring Lake Park is mostly XC ski trails in the winter.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are a go! Three Rivers has approved the use of their park for our event.

The event page (when approved by mtn-man) will be: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=811fb54a-ed22-4c6e-adb2-39ea330df447 (or GCKMGN).

The coordinates on the cache page are currently for the north-end parking lot. I will be traveling out there and finding parking closer to where we will actually be having the event start from. Most likely the horse-trailer lot in the center of the park. I'll keep you all updated.

Either watch this topic or the cache page and I'll keep you informed.
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for setting this up.

-Aaron

[Edit: Removed question/suggestions that were already answered]
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dos that mean I can bring the horses? Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Team Wicket wrote:
Dos that mean I can bring the horses? Razz

You'll have to ask Three Rivers if they are permitting horses in the park at that point in time. I don't think you can do the event on horseback though Wink
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's ok, it's really too far to take them at this time of year any way.
would be fun though. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The event page is approved and ready to go!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: