MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Raising the Bar On Geocaching In Minnesota

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EagleXplore
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Raising the Bar On Geocaching In Minnesota Reply with quote

There are barely 300 members in Minnesota. Someday, there will be over 1,000 and then 10,000. Thus, why some cringe at all those geocachers running amuck and Silent Bob's curt reply instead of welcoming a new member. Higher ethical standards need to be established for an area like Lake Pepin. What about a Lake Pepin Consortium of Minnesota and Wisconsin historical representatives that have to approve any geocache placement.

I may only place five caches over the next several years. Each one will have considerable significance. For eXample if another is approved for La Grange I would do it only with the final approval of the Mdewakanton Dakotah community. Three hundred years ago this bluff would have had special significance for a Vision Quest. I met twice with Amos Owens, the renowned spirital leader of Prairie Island before he passed on, and I have taken part in a sweat ceremony at his home. Amos was known to his many friends (world-wide) for his sacred pipe making skills. He often travelled to nearby states to conduct ceremonies such as winter vision quests in snow for yound people. If Barn Bluff was still Dakotah land Amos wouldn't have had to make so many Vision Quest trips to Bear Butte. The chiefs of the Mdewakanton Dakotah were among the signatories of the 1805 Zebulon Pike Treaty that ceded 36,000,000 acres east of the Mississippi River.

Each cache that I place will have special historical significance. And some day I hope you will think of me as "washtah kitchiwah chee."
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What about a Lake Pepin Consortium of Minnesota and Wisconsin historical representatives that have to approve any geocache placement.

I may only place five caches over the next several years. Each one will have considerable significance. For eXample if another is approved for La Grange I would do it only with the final approval of the Mdewakanton Dakotah community. Three hundred years ago this bluff would have had special significance for a Vision Quest.

That is fine, but the MNGCA really has no authority over who can place caches where. Geocaching.com only has authority to the extent of what they choose to list or not list. If you obey thier guidelines, they will list it. If, for example, the Mdewakanton Dakotah community has a legal right to control what goes on on a given plot of land, their permission would certainly be required before placing a cache, or geocaching.com would remove the listing if it found out the cache was placed in an area where permission was needed and not granted. If, however, the permission would only be an issue of respect for the history of the area, then anybody can place a cache there, within .10 miles of any other cache. As far as a historical consortium that would govern cache placement in that area, that would seem to be something you would need to lobby for with governmental units, as they control the land use, not MNGCA and not Geocaching.com.

I do agree that the area is lovely. I would gladly visit any caches you care to place there. If you have an idea for a good series in the area, that is great too. Series caches can be a lot of fun provided they are hidden well. Who knows, if more cachers get out that direction because there are more good caches there, maybe more cachers will place caches there.
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sui generis meant to say NOT within .10 miles of any other cache.
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
sui generis meant to say NOT within .10 miles of any other cache.

yup, each cache has to be at least .10 from another.
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EagleXplore,

Iím glad that you decided to stick around instead of leaving us in a huff as you threatened. Itís unfortunate that you received a somewhat cool welcome here. It appears that you may have some great ideas for caches and I, for one, would very much like to see some challenging caches around lake Peppin, especially if they are water accessible.

Perhaps a few flippant comments were made that shouldnít have. On the other hand, please consider how your posts appeared to us. Your first post, no doubt unintentionally, came across as rather arrogant, seemed to tell us that you feel you know more than us as to what makes a good cache. This at a time that your own logs show that you are still struggling, as we all did in the beginning, at finding even the easiest of caches.

Whenever joining a new social group, online or otherwise, it is often wise to step in, introduce yourself, and lay low for a while while you get the feel of the community. If you do that, I think you will find us to be friendly, fun group to be a part of.
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Hi Moe Reply with quote

Well expressed- I agree
EagleXplore
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe,

Thanks for your words of wisdom and encouragement.

One Wisconsin-side cache that you would enjoy most would be accessed the quickest with a watercraft from Reads Landing. If you cross the channel at the foot of Lake Pepin around iceout (early April), and before the Eagles leave you should still be able to get some great Eagle photos on the Wisconsin side which isn't easily accessible by foot. You can also test your strength up the Chippewa River to Battle Island. There are still a few arrowheads to be found around the mouth of the Chippewa River (once known as Riviere au Bon Secours~or River of Good Helps), but most have been taken years ago by arrowhead hunters.

A Rest Island cache and a Cap aux Pistolets cache would also be ideal for a watercraft entry point.
Wayfarin Stranger
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EagleXplore.....you plant the caches and I will find them...
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildly off-topic randomness was split off and moved to the Non-geocaching discussion thread and is located Arrow here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: