MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cacheside Chat April/May 2017 edition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> President's Cacheside Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmnrec
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Cacheside Chat April/May 2017 edition Reply with quote

This is the April/May edition of the President’s Cacheside Chat.  I admit it.  I totally forgot to do one at the end of April.  I think it had something to do with the Spring Event.  If you didn’t make it, you missed a great time!  It was a bit on the chilly side (it was still April), but the tasty sloppy joes and the rest of the spread warmed everyone up.  The hikes up and down the trails helped too!

I thought I would focus this chat on the MnGCA website.  As you may already know, our webmaster Pearhead stepped aside from the webmaster duties.  He has been a great asset to this organization over the years in this role. Doing it in addition to being a reviewer, he has put in an incredible amount of time into geocaching as a volunteer.  I, for one, am very appreciative of what he has contributed.

We have had a couple of members express interest in helping out as a webmaster, but none have the expertise of managing this website in the format it is in.  I don’t have that type of expertise either.  So, it was time for the board to think outside of the box and look at other options.  

What we believe is most essential for the website, and what was expressed in the member survey, is to have a website that has content that entices members to visit as well as one where members can interact.  Also, in the member survey, there was feedback that the website needed a new look.

So, it seems we have two objectives:

1. To have a website that is more easily manageable by someone that has decent computer skills, but doesn’t require “techy” knowledge.  We need to be able to “pass the torch” as members fade out with helping and others step in.

2. To keep the content fresh.

From conversations I have had with other long time members, I understand and appreciate the work that has gone into developing and maintaining our current website.  By presenting a change in the website, I am in no way suggesting that our current website is sub par.  Those of you that have extensive computer knowledge might think that this is a “step backwards” from what we currently have.  But, I think, most of our members just look at the final product and will not notice the difference “behind the scenes”.

There will need to be a lot of work done in order to make a transition.  There are a lot of details that still need to be worked out.  What I and the other board members need from you, our members, at this time is feedback.  Feel free to express it here in this forum topic, or if you prefer, please send an email to:  board@mngca.org  Any feedback sent to us via email will be kept confidential.  I do ask that any comments posted in this thread be kept civil and respectful.  

So, without further ado, the following link is a trial site I have been mocking up with just a little  time into it to give you an idea of what it looks like (the forum/chat room part isn’t on there yet):

http://mngeo.clubhosting.org/

Thanks… and we look forward to hearing from you!

[/u]
Geary&Co.
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Thank you Pearhead! Reply with quote

Thanks to Pearhead for all the work keeping this current site up and running. It is appreciated.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work! Knowing how much effort it takes to put something together, I know that you spent some time on this.

Two questions:

Is the forum part of the new site as well? If so, is it the forum in it's current format or something different?

How are you maintaining a membership list in compliance with the bylaws?

Thanks.
dmnrec
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
Nice work! Knowing how much effort it takes to put something together, I know that you spent some time on this.

Two questions:

Is the forum part of the new site as well? If so, is it the forum in it's current format or something different?

How are you maintaining a membership list in compliance with the bylaws?

Thanks.

There is a forum aspect of it, that we don't get until we start paying for it (what you are seeing is a free trial version to see how it works). We could just copy what we have for the forum for topics titles, or recreate it into whatever we want it to be. There is also a membership aspect to it with the collecting of info we need for someone to become a member along with the ability to allow members to see pages that the general public cannot. And there are levels of access the admin can assign to members, such as the board.

As I get time, I am going through the current site with a fine tooth comb to make sure we save what we need from it and bring it to the new site or save it into google.
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the new url start with mngeo or mngca?
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grey Wolf and Wild Rice wrote:

Or better yet, will we get to keep our existing domain (mngca.org)
dmnrec
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice wrote:

Or better yet, will we get to keep our existing domain (mngca.org)

Yes, we can keep the existing domain name and switch it over when the site is ready.
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, can't wait to see more. When will that happen ? http://mngeo.clubhosting.org/
dmnrec
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rustynails wrote:
Nice, can't wait to see more. When will that happen ? http://mngeo.clubhosting.org/

No definite timeline... still working on some logistics and going through the current site to preserve items we don't want to lose in the process.
Lx2
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pear Head for your dedication to maintain the website. When we were new at geocaching the Forums is where we turned to get a lot of useful info.

The prototype site looks good. Straight forward and easy to navigate. Looking forward to the next rev of MnGCA website.
dmnrec
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did have some issues with the original hosting site we were looking at, so we are now going with doodlekit and a different forum host. This will happen as soon as the domain gets switched over:

http://erinbates1.doodlekit.com/home

http://mngca.freeforums.net/

The pages on the new website are viewable for anyone... however, you will need to register on the new forum site to view the Members Only pages...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> President's Cacheside Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: