MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Log Of The Day
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20

View previous topic :: View next topic  
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=fb487aa3-4833-4164-836d-57d3dc027a82
Boreal Walker
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bald Eagles Fly By (GC2QM04) has a new log:

Logged by: Holy Strollers
Log Type: Found it
Date: 5/14/2016
Type: Multi-cache

Log:
This was very interesting. I like history, which I suppose is why I have a degree in history. I like stopping to read plaques like these even if no cache is involved. Best Girl has learned that sometimes she just has to wait for me.

As for calculating the coordinates for stage two, that was easy (I like math, too). Ah, but finding the cache . . . that's what I have Best Girl for. There was one particular place I had asked her to look when we first arrived. Gypsy wasn't pointing there, but it looked like a good spot. So she looked and found nothing. And for me, having worked my way across the whole general landscape, it was time to start over, and I started in that same place, and found nothing. Then Best Girl looked there again. And I looked there again. We conducted what we thought was a very thorough search. I was about to say those three little words, "What say you?" which is code for "I'm ready to pack it in," when Best Girl said, "Here it is." It surprising how often she does that to me. Only this time it turned out not to be the cache. Rats!!! Nevertheless, for some bizarre reason we lost track of the whole "I'm ready to pack it in" business and kept looking. It happened that when she raised my hopes and then dashed them I was looking in that same old spot again. But I didn't find anything. Then Best Girl looked there again and whaddyaknow, a geocache. We must have looked there a half dozen times without finding anything. What counts is that is that the last time Best Girl looked she earned us a smiley. Like I said, that's what I have her for.
TriggerMN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystery Cache

Serenity

A cache by Boreal Walker GC6FPDY

Hidden : 04/13/2016

Salsman
Premium Member
Found it

05/15/2016

SERENITY NOW! You know I have Boreal Walker on the brain when I see a series of numbers and immediately think one thing, and won't even consider anything else, even when I'm wrong. But it sure is nice to know I can tell TriggerMN to walk, bad knees and all, 1.5 miles in the wrong direction to chase a puzzle, and he'll listen - good boy! So that's how we arrived 0.75 miles in the wrong direction searching on top of some random hill in the backwoods of MN far away from any known civilization.

It's also good to know that TriggerMN will quickly point the finger at YOU because he knows the mistake had to be on YOUR end. I don't make mistakes. After a brief conference at the cars we both decided we didn't want to drive all the way back out here for this single cache. We drove up and away until we could get some cell service then gave you a call. TriggerMN demanded you tell him where you made your mistake. At which point you must have said, "Salsman's wrong" because the piercing look of death I got from TriggerMN told me I was in trouble, and I may go for a swim if we have to cross that bridge again.

We punched in the correct numbers - DUH, and learned we had only walked by this location a mere 5 times today so you could say we pretty much knew the way. I redeemed myself (I hope) by finding the container. Now we can all go home and ice our knees. If I can walk up the stairs... What a day.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=823991d6-fe8c-427c-9708-4bf96895148f
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=f814726b-bc58-436b-951c-8c6244c338b6
Aix sponsa
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC6QBPH_st-louis-blues-m Reply with quote

Mocrin's adventure

Oh boy! Most of these I do not remember individually... there were just too many, and they're all right on the main river.... but I DO REMEMBER THIS ONE! The canoe was too big to navigate up the tributary, so we parked it, and I went off on foot in search of the Mud Hen. I bushwacked the 150 feet, and along the way I found 4 wheeler tracks, which made the walk easier... but then I came to GZ, and realized we were supposed to have paddled to it, as it was water accessible, and no so much accessible from land. I removed my fanny pack and left it up on top. Then I emptied my pockets (because there was a real possibility of going swimming for this one), and left everything on top of the hill. Then I attempted to go down the hillside backwards, but it's all MUD, and I started to slide, and there's not much to hold on to... I ended up with my feet in the water, the rest of me pressed into the mudslide of a hill, grasping desperately for the beacon. I dropped my pen, and it started to roll to the river. I made a quick change of position, had the tree in one hand, and managed to grab my pen with the other, but everything was covered in mud. I dug a knee in to the mud to try to secure my position so I could sign the log. Success! Now, I just have to get back up the hill. To do this, I removed my Tivas, so I could dig my toes in to try to inch my way up to the top. I threw the shoes up to the top, and climbed up very slowly. I made it!! I couldn't see my fingernails (too coated in mud!), but I made it! I put my shoes back on, and followed the four wheeler tracks back in the general direction of where I left my partner and the canoe. Found them! Off we went to the next one... but wait!! I LOST MY PHONE! A few minutes of panic and adrenaline, and we turned around and went right back to where we were parked before. I quick look into the river, no sign of it, so I scurried back up in to the long grasses, and commenced a search... FOUND IT!!! Thank goodness I hadn't dropped it into the water! Right then I did the official Mud Hen Boogie/"I found my phone" Dance. I was appropriately dressed, covered in mud from head to toe. Yes, I will never forget this cache! Whew!!!

dmnrec
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC6QBPH_st-louis-blu Reply with quote

Aix sponsa wrote:
Mocrin's adventure

Oh boy! Most of these I do not remember individually... there were just too many, and they're all right on the main river.... but I DO REMEMBER THIS ONE! The canoe was too big to navigate up the tributary, so we parked it, and I went off on foot in search of the Mud Hen. I bushwacked the 150 feet, and along the way I found 4 wheeler tracks, which made the walk easier... but then I came to GZ, and realized we were supposed to have paddled to it, as it was water accessible, and no so much accessible from land. I removed my fanny pack and left it up on top. Then I emptied my pockets (because there was a real possibility of going swimming for this one), and left everything on top of the hill. Then I attempted to go down the hillside backwards, but it's all MUD, and I started to slide, and there's not much to hold on to... I ended up with my feet in the water, the rest of me pressed into the mudslide of a hill, grasping desperately for the beacon. I dropped my pen, and it started to roll to the river. I made a quick change of position, had the tree in one hand, and managed to grab my pen with the other, but everything was covered in mud. I dug a knee in to the mud to try to secure my position so I could sign the log. Success! Now, I just have to get back up the hill. To do this, I removed my Tivas, so I could dig my toes in to try to inch my way up to the top. I threw the shoes up to the top, and climbed up very slowly. I made it!! I couldn't see my fingernails (too coated in mud!), but I made it! I put my shoes back on, and followed the four wheeler tracks back in the general direction of where I left my partner and the canoe. Found them! Off we went to the next one... but wait!! I LOST MY PHONE! A few minutes of panic and adrenaline, and we turned around and went right back to where we were parked before. I quick look into the river, no sign of it, so I scurried back up in to the long grasses, and commenced a search... FOUND IT!!! Thank goodness I hadn't dropped it into the water! Right then I did the official Mud Hen Boogie/"I found my phone" Dance. I was appropriately dressed, covered in mud from head to toe. Yes, I will never forget this cache! Whew!!!

lol Esko had a bit of an experience getting to this one as well, but not that good of one Laughing
Boreal Walker
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Altoid Tin - Creole Country (GC3KJZ4) has a new log:

Logged by: bflentje
Date: 09/04/2016
Type: Traditional Cache

Log:
Find #11,503. Spending the long weekend at nearby Lake Bronson with the family. I was out running solo today in the rain while the family stayed back at camp keeping dry. When I pulled up to this one I was sure it be gone. The entire five mile stretch of road was under construction. Well, not the road itself, but the ditches were being dredged for miles and ALL of the culverts are being replaced. Thankfully, constructions workers had set all of the old culverts aside down the road a bit.. I checked them out. Lo and behold, I found the cache. I signed my name then placed the cache in the brand spanking new culvert at GZ. Sorry for spoilers.. but there is literally nothing left in the area but piles of mud, the newly installed culverts, and the old rusted culverts down the road. I assume this cache is ready to go for the next finder.

After I was done here I had to clean 40 pounds of mud off my Keens. Smile

TFTC.
scotto_wi
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one looks like fun in the making.

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC6RZ66

Owner logs a find while thanking DNF's for finding.
BTW, the cache is a micro with logbook and toys. Hmmm.
AustinMN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotto_wi wrote:
This one looks like fun in the making.

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC6RZ66

Owner logs a find while thanking DNF's for finding.
BTW, the cache is a micro with logbook and toys. Hmmm.

The coords are not by a big tree.

CO only has three finds, and one of them is this cache.
TriggerMN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Mocrin log, this time for GCQF3T, Silver Island Treasure:

My story for this cache begins one year ago. On 9/11/15, I decided to come looking for this cache. I hadn't really planned to stop here... I had targeted one in Two Harbors, but it was a nice day for a drive, and this one has always called to me... I do love a challenge!

Although I had the correct footwear on, I had worn pants that were too long. And halfway out on the breakwater, I tripped and fell. I fell hard. I put my hands out to catch myself. Gravity took over, and as I hit the rocks, I knew I was in trouble. I felt my right wrist squish. It didn't crack... it squished. I sat where I was for a few minutes and let the nausea pass. I looked longingly toward the cache, but it was still a quarter mile away, and with a rope to climb?? Impossible. I had just broken my wrist. So, I took a few pictures from the middle of the breakwater, and then very slowly picked my way back towards the parking lot, trying to shelter my arm against my body.

I drove myself to the ER in Two Harbors. The doc took X-rays of both wrists "Just to be thorough", and he came back and told me they were BOTH broken, and that I needed surgery. Bwah! So, I declined the offer of a ride in the ambulance (I mean, I made it this far already!), and drove myself to St. Luke's where I had pins and screws added to my right side. (I'm going to include a pic. If you're queasy, skip the photos). Basically, I had shortened my arm when I fell, and I was in traction (called an external fixator) for 8 weeks.

Let's just say it's not easy to cache with two broken wrists!! But I did! I had been geo-streaking at the time, planning to get to 365, and this was maybe day 240 or something.... Between the kindness of other cachers, my muggle mother who cached with me most days for the next two weeks, and the forethought of the doc in the ER, who gave me a velcro splint for the left side (which I was able to remove with my teeth when I needed to use a hand), I was able to continue my streak and grab at least one cache a day. I stopped at 444. Smile Again, I do like a challenge!

With the 1 year anniversary looming, I wanted to try for this one again, but I haven't been real comfortable on big boulders like these since my fall, and I heard that it was possible to paddle out to the island... So, I watched the forecast, and the early morning of the 11th looked like it might work. There was supposed to be no wind, which hopefully would mean calm waters, and I decided to load up the canoe and head for Silver Bay. I spent the night of the 10th at a campground nearby, and was at the boat launch at 7:30 this morning. The water didn't look too rough... until I got out of the marina. Those swells were actually pretty powerful. No whitecaps, but I was getting tossed around a bit. I headed for the "beach", if you can call it that. The waves were crashing in to it.... I tried ramming the canoe up on shore, but the angle was too steep and there wasn't enough time between waves to get out. So, I tried a parallel approach, and got one foot onto land. And then the wave retreated and tried to take the canoe with it. I had to jump out of the canoe fast, and ended up mostly wet from the waist down, but still had a hand on the canoe. I dragged it up out of the reach of the waves, and took a moment to wonder how in the heck I was going to get back to the car. It didn't look like heading out into the waves was going to be any easier... but I refocused on my goal and started climbing. I was a bit shaky from getting tossed about, and I have to admit, once on solid ground, I got seasick. Yup. I threw up right there on your lovely island. Sorry about that. Smile

So, I took another couple of minutes to sit and compose myself, trying not to think about how one goes about calling the Coast Guard for a rescue.... and congratulated myself for at least getting this far. I mean, I only made it half way last time. Things are looking pretty good, right!?

I found the cache, and I brought with me a vial that contains the pins and screws from my fixator that was removed after 8 weeks of torture (oops, I mean stabilizing my bones and allowing me to heal properly). I labeled them, and left them in the cache. It seemed like they belonged out here. Hopefully, though, no one else ever needs them!

I signed the log, and grabbed a TB that was in the cache, and then slowly made my way back down to the canoe. I studied the wave patterns for several minutes, and when there was a small lull, I made a dash for it, and was soon paddling back to the marina. It was a 45 minute round trip, and I don't ever want to do it again! I'm very glad to mark this one as found.

With this cache, I also complete my Triple Fizzy! Go ahead, call me crazy! Why do we seek out these caches? What is it that drives me to do it? Who knows! But I love it! It's a wonderful adventure every time; it brings me to new places I would never have seen otherwise, and it pushes me to test my physical and mental limits. It's awesome.

Thank you for placing this cache here. Thanks for keeping it going after all of these years. Be safe out there, everyone! Happy Caching!
Mn-treker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GC6T5P1

Multi-cache

Zombie SLOGMAN
kokohawk

Premium Member

Found it Found it
09/27/2016

I remember the original slogman and now he has turned into a zombie. Time to go back and defeat him once again. This time I wasn't going to wait around. I left the house as the sky looked gloomy. I was hoping to beat the rain. As soon as I hit the road the rain started to fall from the sky. I wasn't turning back now. I went to the familiar first stage. The coords seemed to put me right next to the sidewalk. I went around to the different beacons checking each one. I had trouble with the last slogman and I was having the same trouble with this one. I kept going back to where I remember the last one being but it wasn't until the third or fourth time that I finally spotted it. Just like last time I should have found it easier than what it took me. Plugged in the final coords and I was off to slay the beast. This time I came prepared with boots and I was ready for battle. I found the geotrail and spotted the evil slogman It was time for a second round of battle against the now evil zombie. I had my pen in hand ready to begin the slaying when I took a closer look. My goodness. I suddenly had a change of heart as I saw the poor thing laying there in the water as helpless as can be. He has definitely seen his better days as his once shiny coat has all but disappeared after the years of beatings. He is now just an old withered soul more slog than man. I offered him my hand and pulled him up and out of the water. He was grateful that I had come by when I did. I planted him firmly on his feet and he thanked me over and over again. I asked him if he remembered trying to bite the man they call Mn-treker. He remembered back in his younger days being so hungry that he would sit by hoping for scraps of food. He was so hungry that he was starting to hallucinate. One day when Mn-treker came by he thought he had food in his hand. It turned out that it wasn't food like he had thought but was just Mn-treker's hand. He was now being punished for his mistake. On the positive side he has since learned a recipe for cattail soup and has been able to survive out here on his own. Before I left he wanted my name to remember me. His memory is all but gone so he had me sign a piece of paper he had so that he would always have it with him. As I left I wished him luck over the coming winter months. I came to do battle and slay an evil zombie but instead I saved a poor misunderstood and mistreated slogman. TFTC
dmnrec
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=a1405447-2632-4521-a6f1-efbf77d83ef5
XHawk
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Against All Odds (GC1CPKA) has a new log:

Logged by: lpgeorge123

Date: 01/15/2017

Type: Unknown Cache

Log:
Purplesquirrel took me on an island cache adventure. We were headed for a cache when we ended up on the wrong trail. The trails are sorta groomed for cross country skiing, and there weren't many footsteps in this area. We did see a set of prints headed cross country, so we decided to follow that. We knew yellowdogs and Valsey had found the cache we were looking for, so we guessed maybe they found a way cross country to the right cache. We followed the prints and they suddenly stopped. Purplesquirrel said, "Maybe there's a cache right around here?" I looked up and sure enough there was one right next to his elbow. We pulled out our phones to figure out which cache we were at. The map showed we weren't close to one at all! Then we checked the puzzles in the area, compared the signatures on the log to the ones online and sure enough, we found a puzzle cache that we hadn't solved or meant to find! A geotrail is a type of TOTT, right?. That was an exciting find! The down side is we had to back track and find our own way to the cache we were initially looking for!
dmnrec
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=4b09bca5-ac1d-4ac6-957c-f64ccf22a17a
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20
Page 20 of 20

Jump to: