MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cacheside Chat February 2017

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> President's Cacheside Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmnrec
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Cacheside Chat February 2017 Reply with quote

Welcome to the February 2017 edition of the President's Cacheside Chat! I'd like to start off by congratulating Laura(no name) for submitting the winning design for the 2017 MnGCA shirt! It is always neat to see the creativity of the submissions from our membership each year and it is hard to pick a favorite. We will be posting the details on ordering soon. Please consider purchasing a shirt as the proceeds go to support the organization in many areas such as website maintenance and events. And for this year, the shirt might just be your "to do" list of caches!

We just finished up an 8 week GSAK education series in Cloquet. There were between 3-8 participants each week and I was assisted by Eskoclimber and Jeepers Creepers for most of the classes. After perusing the results of the MnGCA survey (which will be released soon), there seems to be a demand for providing GSAK as well as other educational classes. After putting on this class for 2 winters now, what I learned in an Adult Learning course I had taken through Moorhead State last summer really rang true. Classes for adults do not consist of one person lecturing to the attendees, but the sharing of information among the participants. We had a diverse group at each class from a couple that had only found 2 or 3 caches (and thought it was a Geo101 type class) to attendees who have been using GSAK for many years. After covering the topic of the night, for most of the classes, we broke into small groups so we could tailor to the level of the participants. And, everyone had something to offer to the entire class. From the feedback I received, it seems that everyone learned a few new things each night...and it was relatively cheap... except for one participant who got nailed with a $285 parking ticket one night. Ouch!

So, if you are interested in learning more about GSAK, I would suggest getting together with cachers from your area and meeting in a coffee shop where you can exchange what you know. Maybe create an event, or post on facebook, or email cachers you know to make it happen... and make sure there is plenty of parking! We will be putting on another GSAK or Project GC course up north here again next winter and hopefully, I will have the time to do the class via the internet next winter as well.

We will be having our quarterly board meeting tomorrow night, February 26, so if you have any question/comments/issues, please post or email the board so we can discuss. The email address is board@mngca.org

See you next month!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> President's Cacheside Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: