MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Download all caches to Oregon 450?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Download all caches to Oregon 450? Reply with quote

Is there a way to quickly just download all the caches I haven't found in my area to my Garmin Oregon 450?

Thanks!
Boreal Walker
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you run a pocket queue centered around your home coordinates and filter out caches that you have found, you can save the GPX file to your device.
AustinMN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I agree with BW, it also depends on how big an area you want to cover and how densely caches are placed. Pocket Queries are still limited to 1000 caches, which may mean a circle of 100 miles or more in some rural areas, but is likely to only be 3-4 miles in parts of the Twin Cities Metro area.
Boreal Walker
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are worried about the 1000 cache cap, another solution would be to use GSAK. Setting it up takes time, but after that it works pretty smooth. If you run a plethora of PQs to get all the caches in the size area you are looking at, save them all in GSAK. You can create another PQ to run once a week to grab all new caches hidden in MN.

When it is time to load your GPS, filter the GSAK database for where you are going to be caching, update the logs, and export to your Oregon.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK stick with me - I'm still doing something wrong. I ran the PQ.

1) Can I download them all at once? If I "check all" it checks only one screen of caches.

2) If I "check all" and "download waypoints" it says it's downloading as a .loc file, and nothing appears in my GPS geocaches.

Thanks if you can help, I expect this is a Captain Obvious to the Rescue situation but I can't figure it out.
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you are trying to download from the preview page. Have the .gpx file emailed to yourself and then just drag and drop that emailed file into the correct folder on your gpsr.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep that did it! Thank you everyone - I am so excited about this!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: