MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Palm?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm just trying to justify the fact that I'm really having a hard time "selling" my wife on the idea i need a pda. (by saying what I posted b4).

Started with the GPS...took about a month to get the OK......

Then....need travel bugs......(she didn't know).
stickers, shirts etc.

then a digital camera.....about 6 months.......

now a pda......at the rate i'm going on selling this one.....i figure next sept.

and then i will wind up getting a $30 used.....get upset and then buy a $250one....

I almost forgot....I had to get a laptop as well my desktop "blew up"...smoke the works.....
Team Hooligan
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:59 pm    Post subject: Gone Paperless Reply with quote

Sometimes when you start a topic, it just takes a life of its' own. Like this turning into a debate on paper vs. paperless. For the record I bought Tom Slushers M125 and have made the jump to paperless. It is great! I have all the gecaches I need to find within 200 miles of my house loaded and ready to go. I also have used the calendar on it and have my schedule inputed for the next year. (leaving several days open to geocache of course). I'm sure some day I'll want a fancier one, but this one does what I want it to do, and is going to be a big help out geocaching. I say go electronic, the paper you don't use just might save a tree. And who knows maybe that tree would be a good place to put a geocache!
MN Lost Boy
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: Paperless Caching Reply with quote

I have used a few programs on my palm just to capture a cache for use later (Manual entry) or to keep a back-up of ones I want to keep...

Here is a link-

https://software.palmone.com/secureDownload.jsp?StyleSheetUrl=MiniBrandStyleSheet.css&shoppingUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fsoftware.palmone.com%2FPlatformProductDetail.jsp%3FsiteId%3D291%26jid%3D23D995AE5ED1B9D98C9E417DD337D5E8%26platformId%3D1%26productType%3D2%26productId%3D81380%26sectionId%3D0%26catalog%3D1&jid=23D995AE5ED1B9D98C9E417DD337D5E8&siteId=291&productId=81380&productName=Geocache+Log+Book&orderId=null&fileUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.b694.com%2Fpurchase.htm

When I found the skull in the woods, the first thing I did was call the police. But then I got curious about it. I picked it up, and started wondering who this person was, and why he had deer horns.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

screens shots for that can be found here.....

http://www.b694.com/geocache_log_book.htm
SirPoonga
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A palm would be cool, but I'd be afraid of dropping it and breaking the screen. What I do is print out the cache on one side o a paper and a GPSVisualizer topo map on the other side (generally I will have more than on cache on the map). I organize them intoa folder in the order I plan to get them. Then when I get tot he cache site I just take the sheet of paper for that cache along with a fanny pack that has pencils, stuff to trade, bandaids, etc..
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get used Handspring Visors and Neos in great condition from eBay. I've bought two in the last year, and paid $40 for one and $45 for the other, including shipping. Visors run PalmOs 3.1, and Neos run PalmOS 3.5.
RINO SHAWN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this thread is a little old..... but my questions are pretty similar.

I recently upgraded my cell phone...My new phone (Motorola V551) is Blue Tooth enabled. I am still learning about what Blue Tooth is and how I can benefit from it. My understanding is that it transmit a weak signal so that it can link up to other Blue Tooth devices without having to hook up any cables.

I didn't fork over the extra $20 per month to have internet access thru my phone. (phone is a camera and video phone and I could send multimedia data to emails or other phones in addition to accessing basic web thru phone if I upgrade to this package)

Heres where the questions about Palm Pilots come in.........

I started looking online at whats new out there with Palm Pilots....I see there is a model called the Zire 72 (by Palm). It has a built in digital camera, and all the necessary goodies but most importantly...it is Blue Tooth enabled. It says on it's brochure "Use a compatible Bluetooth-enabled phone as your modem and recieve email and connect to the web"

Does this mean that if I buy this, and my phone recognizes it thru Blue-Tooth, that I could send my pictures or video clips from my phone to the Palm (and later to my home PC) and does it mean I could use my phone as my modem without having to buy the extra "multimedia package" for $20 per month and use the palm to connect to the web while just using my normal minutes from my phones plan??

heres where I found the info about the Palm Zire 72:
http://www.palmone.com/us/products/handhelds/zire72/
RINO SHAWN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello??? Is this thing on????? Laughing

Guess I need to make a trip to Best Buy......Someone there SHOULD know something about the bluetooth equipped products.

Happy New Year everybody!!

SHAWN
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. It is the holidays so do get so impatient with the members.
2. It might be that no one here can answer your question.

My only real suggestion is that figure out what you really want your tools do do for you then buy the right one. Don't try to buy cheap and then make it work for you. Normally, you will be disapointed.
RINO SHAWN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Arcticabn.

Sorry if I came off as sounding impatient.....that's not how it is at all.
I agree with your advice so I am waiting for more input before I rush in to a decision.

I was hoping that one of the members possibly had some knowledge or have used PDA's or Cell Phones that are equipped with Bluetooth.

I researched a little bit this morning after doing a Google search of Bluetooth. From what I have read, it sure sounds like this will be the wave of the future......wireless connections for Hands Free units for cell phones, wireless keyboards for your PDA's, GPS software for your PDA's that use a remote mounted reciever on dash that communicates wirelessly to your PDA.....and all of this possible thru Bluetooth technology.

I think I still need to visit a Best Buy or similar store, cell phone in hand, and hopefully find someone in the store that is knowledgeable in this area. It sounds like this will work with my phone but I want it proven to me before I pony up my hard earned jing.

I would probably be happy with a more basic PDA but if I am patient and research the facts about Bluetooth, I might find it worth the extra money to get a PDA that is equipped with it.

I welcome any advice any of you have.... If it turns out that nobody has tried using Bluetooth devices....than I will let you know what I find out when I get the chance to visit the store.

Thanks everyone

Shawn
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RINO SHAWN wrote:
From what I have read, it sure sounds like this will be the wave of the future......wireless connections for Hands Free units for cell phones, wireless keyboards for your PDA's, GPS software for your PDA's that use a remote mounted reciever on dash that communicates wirelessly to your PDA.....and all of this possible thru Bluetooth technology.

It also facilitates the easy transfer of viruses and information from phone to phone (or phone to computer) due to people unknowingly setting themselves up for intrusions from nearby bluetooth enabled phones.

Personally, I see little to no use for Bluetooth but my father uses it daily as his car supports using the internal speaker/microphone system to interface with his phone.

I am going to stay away from Bluetooth as I have no need for it and I'm not exactly a fan of people reading my addressbook as I wander around in public.

YMMV.
RINO SHAWN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]I am going to stay away from Bluetooth as I have no need for it and I'm not exactly a fan of people reading my addressbook as I wander around in public.[/quote]

That's a good point to consider... I wonder how close another device would have to be???

This is another good question to ask when I look at the PDA's

On my phone, I can turn off the bluetooth when not needed. I wonder if the PDA's have the same feature? In theory, if you have to be close to the bluetooth device to share info..... and you only turn on the blootooth when you need it.... the risk of others seeing your info would be pretty low.

Your statement about transferring virus's has me way more concerned.

In the end...what it boils down to for me is........I am going to buy a PDA in the very near future..........my phone has bluetooth..........I need to figure out if using a Palm Pilot with bluetooth will give me more benefits than getting one without bluetooth...... eventually I will probably get a Laptop computer as well (which they are equipping with bluetooth now also).......in the long run, if I end up liking using the bluetooth technology, I would have at least 3 pieces of equipment that will work together this way.

Anyways... Thanks Bob for your advice...I certainly have more good questions now to ask when I go shopping.

Shawn
RINO SHAWN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Heres an update with my findings while visiting Best Buy.

Someone let me know if this thread should have it's own topic since it is kinda heading towards a discussion about Bluetooth.

Anyways, I ended up buying the Palmone Zire 72 with the bluetooth after having alot of questions answered at Best Buy (first salesperson new alot about palms in general but was clueless about bluetooth.....she brought me to who they refer to as "the geek squad")

About the bluetooth:
1st of all...it is much more safe and secure than I previously thought....My phone could not even link to the PDA until a procedure was run for them to "recognize another bluetooth device" Than you have options of security settings so you could make the palm only recognize that particular device. Also bluetooth is only transmitting when you turn it on (enable on or off ) same with my phone.
When they are linked together thru bluetooth you cannot just go in and view what you want......just pick the info you want to move or send to the other device and choose "send" and it gets transferred.

I sent my names and numbers from my phones list to my PDA (had to do it one by one as there is no "select all" kind of feature with my phone.
I also have sent pictures that I took with my camera phone to the PDA..works really well.

I could use my phone as a modem and surf the web with the palm but I would have to upgrade my phone plan. They make a wireless (bluetooth) keyboard that would work with my palm that would be great if I chose to use it that way.

Anyways...thats my 2 cents worth about PDA's with bluetooth

If anyone out there is interested in more discussion on bluetooth I will create a new topic otherwise I will leave it like it it.

Thanks all for the input (which helped me ask some very good questions while shopping)

Shawn Rolling Eyes
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RINO SHAWN wrote:
Anyways, I ended up buying the Palmone Zire 72 with the bluetooth after having alot of questions answered at Best Buy (first salesperson new alot about palms in general but was clueless about bluetooth.....she brought me to who they refer to as "the geek squad")

Just remember that the Geek Squad members are in bed with Best Buy and do want to make sure that you purchase items from them. That being said... There have been numerous articles posted to various websites about Bluetooth related security vunerabilities.

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/12/22/1721219&from=rss

That's a more recent virus that while basically harmless does spread from phone to phone.
RINO SHAWN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:

Quote:

That being said... There have been numerous articles posted to various websites about Bluetooth related security vunerabilities

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/12/22/1721219&from=rss

That's a more recent virus that while basically harmless does spread from phone to phone.

I read the article on slashdot.org and read some of the forum talk below it...... It sounds like early on with bluetooth, the security was not all that good....... I know from using my 2 devices that there are lots of steps you have to choose before anything is transferred..... for example: when I send a photo from my phone to my palm...my palm first beeps and warns me with a message that a device is trying to contact it...than the file/photo/data or ? is stopped and identified and another warning comes accross asking if you want to transfer item X (gives name of file) Only choosing yes allows the transfer. Not to mention the abilities to only allow the devices you tag as safe devices to be allowed to communicate with your devices.....and the fact you can just turn off bluetooth (you really only need to turn it on just briefly to transfer an item anyways)

It sounds like early devices would let any other device close enough to link up (I tested my range....about 15 feet before it loses connection)

Although I suppose anything is possible...I think for my situation....I should have a very safe and secure setup as I keep the bluetooth off until I need it and I live out in the stix Very Happy

One last thought.....I suppose if you used the hands free kit with your bluetooth phone all the time while travelling around in metro traffic......I would think that would be the most risky senario for others "hacking" in..... even then, if your phone has as many security settings as my Motorola phone has...You still would have to "allow" it to happen by selecting yes when the warning beep and message appears.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: