MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Logos, logos more logos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 3:25 pm    Post subject: Logos, logos more logos Reply with quote

Hi all -- I am printing up some little custom tag thingys for some caches and bugs. I know the geocaching.com and groundspeak.com logos are off limits for this. Confused

But what about the GX logo? Who owns that? or is it for public use? I see lots of geocachers who use it in their avatars or incorporate it into their logos and avatars.

I "could" post to the big forum, but I thought I would ask here first.
Does anybody know?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Lady and Laddy bugs
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"She who shall not be named" told me at the summer cache bash that the guys at the big site get very upset when people use any of their logos. Evil or Very Mad The law is that it has to be significantly changed to be considered original art work and there by not subject to copywrite. Significant change is usually 25% or more. I suspect those that are daring to use the logo without changing it are just assuming the risk of being found out. Also if they are not profitting from the use, it is hard to be sued for the use. Rolling Eyes
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The logo I am thinking of using is the one that is the capital letter "G" with an "x" in the center of it.
I think it may be public domain since so many geocachers use it as a avatar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GX logo was agreed upon through the main forums as a logo for anyone to use that doesn't violate Groundspeak's copyright. Therefore, you can use it on any "dosh" that you decide to use it on.
LanceVE
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that same thread, there were a whole lot of logos generated for specifically public domain use, and then most people settled on the Gx.

There's actually a web archive of public domain geocaching logos at http://bytethebullet.com/geologo/
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 10:17 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Excellent! that is JUST what I was looking for. Very Happy
thanks, thanks, thanks
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know where I can get some wooden nickels made? Would like to get some with my username on so that I can just drop them in caches. Sort of like at one cache I saw with some scandilous grafifti on some pencils. Would like to get some made that say "Loneeagle_24 was here". Any ne have any websites or anything they know of? Thanks,
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.primeideas.com/Coins/coinsImprintedWooden.htm
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
IBcrashen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about pokerchips or tokens?
http://www.pokerchips.com/
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.geocaching.com/about/logousage.aspx

"official" logo use guidelines

Quote:

If the lifetime use of the design is less than 25 units, you may consider permission automatically granted. These items may not, under any circumstance, be sold. For larger numbers of items, please request permission by sending an email to logo@groundspeak.com.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will probably have some type of generic (Choice of a side already listed on those sites) side, amd then my own side that would have that info. I don't plan on using any of the GC.com logos.

I guess I'm kind of looking at something like what Centris did a while back with her wooden nickels, but want to change it a little bit to represent that I found whatever cache I leave them in.
pogopod
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the wooden nickle company in Texas. Nice quality and fast. Try this: http://www.wooden-nickel.net/
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pogopod wrote:
I used the wooden nickle company in Texas. Nice quality and fast. Try this: http://www.wooden-nickel.net/

Same place I get mine - they have several in stock geo-logos to choose from or create your own. They are very friendly and helpful.
They also will create a rubber stamp for you that is identical to the front of your nickel. Use it for signing log books.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just placed an order on Sunday from their. Said I should have them about mid January. I got one side with the S.O.T. logo on them and the other side with my own words. I figured I would do that in honor of ALL of my fellow 1/151 FA soldiers that are either training for, or are already deployed to the Iraq region. I also plan to put a few of these in a cache that I have placed out in this area that also honors them.

One thing about these. It will be much easier to figure out what to leave in caches that are found in the future, if they fit in the cache? Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: