MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cell phones and telemarketing firms

View previous topic :: View next topic  
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:54 am    Post subject: cell phones and telemarketing firms Reply with quote

real?

Starting Jan. 1, 2005 all cell phone numbers will be made public to telemarketing firms. Your cell phone may start ringing like crazy on Jan. 1, and most of you pay for incoming calls. (I don't. Very Happy )

According to the National Do Not Call List, you have until Dec. 15th to get on the national "Do Not Call" list for cell phones. Call 1-888-382-1222 from your cell phone, or go to

www.donotcall.gov
hardware
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since i only have a cell phone, i put the number on the do not call list a long time ago. i don't typically have my phone on during the work day, but when i did, i would get random telemarketing calls now and then. now when my phone is on, i never get them, never. i suspect my cell phone number showed up on telemarketing lists because i always listed that as my home phone, even when i had a true home phone. all i know is the do not call list did wonders for me.
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yet another reason I don't own one of those infernal devices.

Besides I have plenty of other infernal devices to deal with already.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&q=telemarketers+cell+phones&ie=UTF-8&scoring=d

It's a hoax.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish it wasn't...My company would pay big money for a cell phone lists.
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitch wrote:
I wish it wasn't...My company would pay big money for a cell phone lists.

The rights to privacy we have left in this country are what keeps you employed, Kitch. Wink

-Aaron
hardware
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deadline to submit a number to the list or not, it doesn't change the fact that there are plans to publish a directory, and that adding my cell phone list to the do not call register more than a year ago has cut down on telemarketing calls to my phone substantially.

what i really need to do is figure out how to keep my number out of that silly directory. i don't recall the fine folks at t-mobile offering me an opportunity to opt out, assuming they're part of this deal.
tomslusher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toaday's Star Tribune Article

Quote:

Bogus cell-phone e-mail spurs action on do-not-call list
December 28, 2004

Have you read the e-mail about how telemarketers can get your cell-phone number?

The ominous, unsigned e-mail says, "Starting Jan. 1, 2005, all cell-phone numbers will be made public to telemarketing firms" and that "your cell phone may start ringing off the hook with telemarketers ... [that will] eat up your free minutes and end up costing you money." It advises consumers to add their cell-phone numbers to the federal government's anti-telemarketing do-not-call list.

Fortunately the warning is only an urban legend. Industry and government officials say that no list of cell phone numbers is being turned over to telemarketers and that telemarketers are legally barred from calling cell phone numbers. Most of the big cell-phone companies have announced plans for a wireless phone directory assistance service, but customers will be able to choose whether to have their numbers listed.

But consumers apparently have heeded the warning in the bogus e-mail. About 3 million phone numbers were added to the government's do-not-call list in a recent two-week period, up from a typical level of 200,000 numbers a week, the Federal Trade Commission said.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: